We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra
Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

We are arriving in Nairobi at 8.40pm and are trying to decide whether to catch the 10.30pm connecting flight to Mombasa or whether to stay the night and catch a morning flight. How easy is it and how long does it take to get out of the international area, going through customs etc and make the connecting flight from the domestic area. Also, does anyone have any information on sleeping at Nairobi airport if we do decide to wait for the morning flight.

Thank you

Mombasa
1. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

There are no hotels at the nairobi airport.If you decide to sleep over in nairobi,you will have to take a taxi into town where there are numerous options.However,you really do not have to sleep over in nairobi.You have plenty of time to connect the mombasa flight.Book the nairobi/mombasa flight in advance.If you will be flying kenya airways into nairobi,let the crew know that you will be connecting the domestic flight to mombasa.There is ussually someone directing those who are connecting to a different area and rushing them through.Still if you are not flying Kenya airways,you have plenty of time to clear through custom and make and cross over to the domestic flights area for the mombasa connection.Just ensure someone is waiting for you at the mombasa airport to transfer you to your hotel.You will be arriving in Mombasa almost at midnight.Not a good time to start bargaining with taxi drivers.

kenya
2. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

customs takes a bit of time especially if there large arrival and poeple hve to cue to get cleared. it all depends how much the arrival crowd and also incase you luggage has a problem.

its not really quite, but to appro give haself like 30min or so

if you luggages comes qick.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 61
3. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

Dont worry we have arrived at Nairobi on the late evening flight & caught the connecting 10.30pm flight to Mombasa without any hassle. The queues at passport control do actually go down pretty quick and you usually have time for a tuskers beer at the domestic area before boarding the internal flight.

Milton Keynes...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

On our flight those connecting to Mombasa were frantic, once they'd cleared customs the baggage belt was faulty, waiting like lemons for luggage for way over an hour!

Airport staff were telling onward passengers to go and catch their domestic flight "your luggage will follow in the morning". As you can imagine they were unhappy with doing that. When it all finally starting moving again they were grabbing cases and running for it.........don't know if they all made it, we went to find our rep who was kipping outside.

Don't think this is 'normal' though............or is it?

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

I just read a post about "sleep n'shower" at JKIA. I'd like more info about this!

Essex
reviews: 1
6. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

Not too sure how relevant this is, but our tour operator advised us to stay over the night and catch an early flight. The reason being is that our beach resort in mombasa is too dangerous to get to at night as the roads are not as well equipped as the UK, no lights and pot holes galour. This could have been a ploy to get a bit extra out of us, but in hind sight, it allows us to see a bit of Nairobi, even if it is just the hotel restaurant, at least I can say I've stayed there.

Although due to the morning flight being at 8.30 to Mombasa, we have to leave our airport at 4amish. But if you are travelling independantly, you could probably leave a lot later.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
7. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

The closest hotel I know of is Panari but now I'm curious about this "sleep 'n shower" too!

Under normal circumstances, no flight delays, etc. you shouldn't have any problems making the Mombasa flight.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
8. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

I got the information about Sleep'n Shower and posted it. Not a personal recommendation, just information.

I have questions about what happens to luggage etc if the S and S is inside, before passport control. Anyway, it sounds possible.

9. Re: Nairobi - Mombassa Connecting Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 30, 2009