We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxfordshire
reviews: 2
Day in Nairobi

I have a trip booked to Kenya with my boyfriend and parents in September and have a free day to spend in Nairobi. We would like to do something for the day but not do too much or travel a great distance as we would like a bit of relaxation time at the hotel after our long flight and before our safari begins.

We were thinking of visiting Daphne Sheldrick’s Orphanage, which we understand is open for just 1 hour everyday and also the Giraffe Centre. We are stopping at the Serena Hotel in Nairobi and wonder if anyone could give me advice on how far it is to these places and also the best way of doing it. Should we book a driver and does anyone have any recommendations or should we try and book it through the tour company we are going on safari with, which is Somak?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mombasa
11. Re: Day in Nairobi

Hi ,

The Daphne Sheldrick's Orphange is a great place to visit. Usually open in the morning for an hour from around 11am to 12pm.

The Karen Blixen Museum as well as the Giraffe Centre are all in the same area. The Kazuri Bead Factory is also interesting.

You could have lunch at the Talisman Restaurant which is fancy but the Karen Blixen Coffee Garden is not bad either.

Your TO can help.

Tango.

Manchester
reviews: 7
12. Re: Day in Nairobi

You should be able to negotiate a local cab for the day for around £30 to £40 depending on how strong you haggle. It could be more expensive to book it through an agent or your hotel.

My recommendations would be:

Giraffe Centre (1.5 hrs)

Elephant Orphanage (0.5 hr)

Lunch at Karen Blixen Coffee Gardens (2 hrs)

Karen Blixen Museum (1 hr)

All of these places are in the Karen area and within 10 to 20 minutes drive from each other. The food at the Coffee Gardens is very good. The Giraffe Centre has a cafe and gift shops.

If you sponsor an elephant through the orphanage web site you can visit in the afternoon by appointment at around 5pm otherwise it is 11am for the visiting public. They only let you stay for about 30 minutes as the babies need their sleep after being fed. When we went we were early and they let us in for a guided tour and to meet Max the blind Rhino whilst we waited for the eles to come in from the bush with their keepers.

The museum is not too exciting and not very large but is interesting with beautiful grounds.

London, United...
reviews: 13
13. Re: Day in Nairobi

I find myself agreeing with gikungu and I would add if you get a chance have a look at the national archives

14. Re: Day in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 07, 2009