We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Ngorongoro

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Nairobi to Ngorongoro

I'm hoping someone can recommend a safari from Nairobi to Ngorongoro Crater. I'm looking for something around 5-7 days...

I'll be traveling with my 8 year old son.

Is there a recomendation on what organisation I could contact and/or who to stay away from?

thanks.

Art

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

I can recommend Eastern & Southern Safaris in Nairobi which I've used on 3 trips. They can put together a custom, private itinerary for you starting in Nairobi, going on to Ngorongoro Crater and back. In Tanzania, they use Leopard Tours as their ground operator.

In general, vehicles and guides don't cross over, so on a combined Kenya/Tanzania itinerary, you'll have different ground operators for each country but they coordinate with each other so that your transition is smooth.

What time of year are you traveling and aside from Ngorongoro, where did you want to go? Logistically, it would be easy to include Amboseli, Lake Manyara, and/or Tarangire along the way on a route between Nairobi and Ngorongoro.

Good luck with your planning!

chicago
2. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

Hi capoeta,

My recommendation would be www.bestofafricatours.com. It's a small company that offers personalised service unlike some big companies with big groups of tourists.We had a 10 days safari with them and we were given our own van for the safari in Mara nakuru, amboseli and a few days at the coast. the only complain we had was the bad roads otherwise the rest of the trip was fantastic.

Texas
3. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

In general, I'm looking for a safari where the trip to the crater will be just as exciting and interesting as the final location.

We will be in Nairobi from June 30 to July 13. right around 2 weeks. I figure a 7 day safari would be long enough, and give me enough time back in Nairobi to at least visit the Train museum. (My son is super-crazy about trains).

I will definetly look into the two suggested organisations for safari quotes.

Thanks for the feedback!

San Francisco
reviews: 7
4. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

What a great trip for you both!

I cannot praise CCAfrica enough. they are not cheap, but the service and their accomodations are superb. Their Ngorongoro Crater Lodge is listed as one the top hotels in the world and I now know why. Spoiled me for every other hotel. Your 8 year old will think its the coolest place he has ever seen.

CCAfrica can put together an itinerary that gets from the Kenyan Masaai Mara to the Crater. By all means, try to include Lake Manyara or Tarangire as well.

Of course, if you want an "experience" you can take the Impala suttle bus from the Silver Spring Hotel in Nairobi to the Impala hotel in Arusha, Tanzania (from arusha its a short plane ride to Ngoro). Its a long 6 hour drive, but its how the locals travel. Crossing the border is a trip, but just follow the locals. The busses are safe (these aren't the local Mattatus). You'll head through Masaai land. One of my lasting memories of the trip was the morning sun shining through the dust kicked up by a herd of cattle being driven by young Masaai men.

Have a great trip

North London
5. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

Hi, I travelled recently with a Kenyan based tour company called Cruiser Safaris. The best thing about the trip was that from Nairobi to Ngorongoro and back we just used one vehicle and driver. We didn't switch tour operator at the Kenya/Tanzania border or take a bus etc. They can be reached through their website www.cruisersafaris.net

Texas
6. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

Thank you for you feedback everyone.

I am writing email to all the companies mentioned.

RINX. do you by any chance remember what spots to traveled by? I think I really like what you describe and I'd like to request info/quote for a tour similar to what you participate in.

North London
7. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

Hi,

I did a safari of 10 days covering national parks in Kenya and Tanzania. I travelled to the Masai Mara for 3 days, but it is not on the way to Ngorongoro..However, the savannah landscapes were wonderful. I then went to Tanzania via Amboseli in Kenya where I spent 2 nights. In Tanzania, I went to L. Manyara and Ngorongoro which was out of this world.

8. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, April 01, 2007
9. Re: Nairobi to Ngorongoro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 28, 2009