We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson's Falls

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
reviews: 1
Thomson's Falls

Hi

We've booked our safari as part of a package through Kuoni - called 'Cheetah safari'. We go to Lake Navaisha on route, but wondered if anyone knew if we go past Thomson Falls or if this is an excursion that can be booked - and if in deed it is worth a trip?

Any advice - good or bad.

Many thanks

Lisa

somerset, england
reviews: 10
1. Re: Thomson's Falls

Hi Lisa

Although we travelled with Somak on the similar itinerary to you, I would have thought that you will make a stop at the falls. To be honest, I don't think its worth arranging a separate excursion for them, they are a nice en-route stop, but apart from looking at the falls and getting a drink from the cafe, there isn't much there. I think we spent about 15 mins there, which was fine! I think we stopped at the falls on our journey betweenTreetops and Nakuru. We did Naivasha on our way from Nakuru to Mara.

Hope your plans are going well & you have bought your Avon spray etc!

Nikki

Essex
2. Re: Thomson's Falls

Hi Nikki

Yep - Avon spray is on order and coming next week!!!!

Thanks for the tip on Thomson Falls. I didn't think there would be much to look at, as it doesn't seem to be small enough to go and swim in and be all romantic under the falls (like the one with Tom Cruise in Cocktail....!) but if it's astopping point then that would be fantastic just for a photo op.

Lisa

Overtornea, Sweden
reviews: 31
3. Re: Thomson's Falls

Hi Lisa!

We stopped at Thomson Falls on our safari between Samburu and Lake Nakuru and we had lunch on the lawn (lunchboxes) there at the Falls. It`s a bit touristic, but we liked it even though. When we were there, it was a very relaxing and quiet place, the falls looked stunning and look out for a bush in front of the lodge`s entrance: there were lots of small, beautiful chameleons sitting in it! We did take lots of photos - of both the Thomson Falls and the Chameleons! :)

Have a wonderful safari!

Annika&Peter

Kent, England
reviews: 21
4. Re: Thomson's Falls

Hi

I did the Cheetah Serena safari with Kuoni last year and I think it's the same basic route. We did stop at Thomson Falls to take some pictures and have a comfort break!

I'm sure you will have a great time, brace yourself for some bumpy roads!

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 40
5. Re: Thomson's Falls

Thomson Falls is a pretty good place to bargain hard and come away with souvenirs at a good price. You'll see the vendors - they know they will never see you again - don't be bashful. As I told my clients, don't be concerned about offering too low an offer. No one ever cheated a Kenyan vendor!

Essex
6. Re: Thomson's Falls

Thanks guys for your help - as always, very useful!!!!

Sounds like a ncie palce to stop and have lunch or rest break. I imagine the sceneray is simply stunning. Are there any other little stops like this to expect on route?

Lisa

London, United...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Thomson's Falls

Have a look at some pictures here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55866253@N00/sets/72057594089541975/

It's the last seven pictures in the group. I didn't think it was all that. It was a nice enough place to stop for a rest break but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to see it. The grounds were nice to walk around providing you are left alone.......

Essex
8. Re: Thomson's Falls

Liznpete - why do you call it a tourist trap on one of your photo's? 'Trap' how worried should I be????

United Kingdom
reviews: 19
9. Re: Thomson's Falls

Lisa - your Kuoni trip includes an awful lot of driving between parks. Unless you are using a vehicle on your own you MUST make the Kuoni rep in Nairobi (not the driver) explain the 'compulsory seat rotation' that they state in their ticket itinerary, make him check that everyone understands and will be complying.

We assumed everyone in our minibus would automatically swap round and didn't raise it in Nairobi before setting off (3 couples altogether in our van). The couple who sat in front for the first leg then claimed extreme travel sickness so must sit in front all the time, to then insist they swap around in a fair manner would have left us in a very awkward position - feeling really mean. We ended up in the back seats for the 3 longest of the 5 long trips and over half the safari's (the others weren't exactly playing fair either). Don't underestimate how awful it is to travel in the back of the van, like 10 rounds in the washing machine! All part of the experience but only when it's fair.

If this had been discussed when travelling companions were allocated by the rep I'm afraid I'd have refused to travel with them - we've all paid the same, it's clear there is a lot of travelling before one books and if people cannot comply then they should have paid extra for their own vehicle.

I did complain to Kuoni and received a hamper, although it didn't spoil my holiday it did take the shine off somewhat.

London, United...
reviews: 8
10. Re: Thomson's Falls

It's all part of the experience that is Kenya! Don't panic!

Most of your comfort break stops will be based around curio shops where in order to use the facilities or buy drinks you are tempted into shops to browse and haggle (now either you like this type of thing or you don't) it is unlikely that you will ever stop anywhere whilst travelling on the road where you are not subjected to the Kenyan sales techniques!!

I named it the "tourist trap" because that is exactly what it is (don't worry you are not held against your will, forced to part with money or threatened in any way - remember that Kenyans are truly wonderful people they just want to earn some money). When the vans pull up you are faced with a row of traders selling their wares and it is quite a challenge to get past them without someone latching onto you. I tried the "I'll come back later technique" and then tried to walk the long way round back to the bus avoiding the sales area but I was spotted and headed off at the pass, so I had to give a very firm but polite no thanks and she went away.

The term "tourist trap" could be equally applied to any of the tourist places here in the UK - Blackpool, Brighton, London etc. It's just a place where all those visting go and it has all the trappings - the gift shops and the people with small animals offering you a photo opportunity for a small price etc. Relax - you will be fine.

Enjoy Kenya for what it is - a truly wonderful country with lovely, friendly, helpful people. More than I can say for London!!!