We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts

I am traveling by myself to Nariobi in July. I just read a travel Alert regarding the 2 people that we killed. Just how safe is traveling in Nariobi by my self.

I have an overnight only inbound and outbound I have an overnight and a full day possibly for sightseeing-but as I said I am traveling by myself-any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: safety

There's a long thread on the Fodors forum that you might want to read with different perspectives and opinions - www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp…

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: safety

Also search the terms "Nairobi safety" on this forum and you'll find many previous posts with suggestions of what to do/what not to do. My suggestion, follow the advice and general precautions and enjoy your trip.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: safety

we just returned from the world social forum in nairobi and were in the city when the two american women from the embassy were shot and killed. it was an intense situation.

i think that the short answer is - it's an urban area like any other and you have to use caution. of course, that's way too simple.

nairobi is a beast unto itself. it's crowded and chaotic. pickpockets abound and it's best to remain at your hotel once the sun goes down. (most reputable hotels catering to foreigners have TIGHT security and you'll be totally safe.) common sense rules - don't walk around flashing expensive jewelry, cameras etc. never display your money. try and stay away from public transportation (matatu). frequent areas intended for foreigners or professional kenyans.

a bit on hotels - spend the extra money if you can. the extra security is worth it. many of the really inexpensive hotels are in questionable areas and don't have tight security. we stayed at the hotel ambassadeur for a few days and while it was inexpensive, it was not worth the lost sleep.

i don't think that you should cancel your trip or your plans to explore on your way out. Kenya is a beautiful country and Nairobi has a lot to offer - just be smart.

i'd be happy to tell you more, but i'm tired of typing!

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
4. Re: safety

On February 14, I returned from three weeks in Nairobi and Kenya. I was part of an organized group, not alone. However, on Saturday, Feb. 3, we were on the same stretch of road on the same day as the two American women were carjacked and killed. (Ironically, when I arrived home in Phoenix, I turned on the TV and the first thing that I saw was a news report of a violent carjacking in Phoenix.) (Also, the area around Kinoo is known to be risky. For some reason, the women had stopped in their car. When approached by the gunmen, they expressed some resistance. All of these things are things not to do.)

I have visited a number of other large cities around the world. Nairobi is more complex and chaotic than some; less complex and chaotic than others. Most Kenyans are delightful, optimistic, open and very trustworthy people. However, there is indeed danger and violence in Nairobi (as in most other major cities). All reliable hotels have extensive security and you have a good measure of safety within their grounds. However, even Nairobi residents are aware that after dark, things become less secure.

I do not think that a woman by herself can go out and about everywhere in Nairobi. Beginning with the airport, you will be confronted by masses of people and vehicles and likely accosted by hustlers trying to sell you whatever they think you might want or need. They will try to insist on helping you with your luggage and even grab the luggage cart right out of your hand.

Under your circumstances, the best advice is to contact the hotel where you will be staying and through them, engage a reliable driver and vehicle to meet you at baggage and then drive you around Nairobi the next day for sightseeing.

Monteagle, Tennessee
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: safety

Traveling with a relative in Oct to Kenya, and staying in Nariobi after landing and one day of departure. Could you tell me what hotel you stayed at in Nariobi? We will be staying at Nairobi Serena. It looks very nice but of course I know nothing about the location.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: safety

the serena is in a good location right on kenyatta ave. you'll be in the middle of the parliment and around other government buildings. you'll also be right near uhuru park - really a beautiful place.

a good rule is - stay to the east of moi avenue. the city changes dramatically when you cross over moi in the direction of tom mboya st.

again, common sense rules.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: safety

and i totally agree with outofthewest - be sure to arrange your airport/hotel transfer and negotiate a price before you get to the airport. i would think that anything between 800-1200 Ksh is a fair price from the airport to the serena.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: safety

I think you can e-mail the Serena and arrange for them to meet you at the Airport. It is not expensive.

Level Contributor
77 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: safety

My sister and I stayed just outside Nairobi on the first night of our safari, we felt totally safe whilst in the hotel.

We stayed in the Hilton Nairobi for the day on our return. To be honest I would not have felt to safe leaving the hotel. Probably would have been fine but did feel quite intimidated in Nairobi. Was not like that in any other part of the country. Just be vigilant

10. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 21, 2009