We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new brunswick nj
reviews: 2
Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

Hello:

I am arriving on Feb 15th at midnight into Nairobi and have to catch a flight to Mombossa, where I will staying to work in a clinic for six weeks. I am single female and was wondering about safety in Nairobi airport since I will be arriving at midnight. Plus, I will already have my Visa. But how long will customs take and how far away is the domestic wing of the airport from the international wing?

Thanks for you rhelp in advance!

Kenya
reviews: 1
1. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

Hi Shana25,

Usually at that time of the night there are not too many arrivals in Nairobi. What time is your domestic flight? The domestic terminal is right opposite the international arrivals less than 100 metres away so you just need to cross the road to the other side literally. The airport generally is safe though you do have to watch your luggage and personal belongings as would be the case everywhere. The customs and immigration should not take more than an hour to clear.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
2. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

I am guessing that your Mombasa flight is in the morning - 7am or so.

What I do when I come in in the middle of the night like that is:

Collect my luggage from the carousel and put it on a trolley. I then go to the Customs people and ask them if I can wait in the Baggage Hall because I have a Domestic flight in the morning. They always agree! This is much safer than sitting in the Arrivals place and less draughty than waiting in Domestic. (With the current security system, I don't know at what time they will allow you into the Domestic departures).

I have not needed to do this for a couple of years now, but last time I did it, there was a row of seats to the left as you face the exit. I then sit on a seat, put my feet on a trolley and snooze!! (I push the saet against the wall first.) The staff around are usually very friendly. You may find someone who will offer you a better seat! The loos are on the other side of the Hall.

Around 2 hrs before my next flight, I greet the Customs people, exit the Baggage Hall, turn LEFT, cross the car park and the road and enter Domestic. It is about 200 yards! (It is a good idea to go if you hear a big flight arriving!!)

There is a Transit Lounge, but it is before you do passport control, so your luggage will just sit in the Baggage Hall. You can go to the Transit Desk and ask their advice. Which Airline are you using (arrival and to Mombasa)?

If you'd like to discuss this a bit more, then e-mail me on asifiwe_asifiwe@yahoo.co.uk

I am also a single female and usually travel alone!

new brunswick nj
3. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

Hello Chuie and Asifiwe:

Thank you so much for your quick responses and extremely helpfull advice. I actually had gotten the times a little wrong. I will be arriving inot Nairobi Via KLM (NWA) at 8:20 pm. My flight to Mombosa leaves at 10:30 pm via Kenya Airways . My worry again is just the process of going through immigration and customs, getting my bags and getting to the doemestic to make my flight to Mombosa.

Thanks again!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 72
4. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

I have travelled on this flight alone many times & the info you have been given is spot on. People will try to help you with your bags when walking from one terminal to the other but if you say NO they will be ok. Have a few kenyan schillings a beer or coffee when waiting for the flight. Dont be worrying you will be ok.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
5. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

2 hours should be plenty of time. However, let the International flight staff know you have a connection. KLM and KA are partners and KA may well send someone to rush you through and get you over the road. The wait is usually at the carousel to get the luggage.

Also you can ask for a seat near to the front of the plane so as to get off quickly. Then move fast to passport control. I hope you get given the entry card on the plane, but if not, you need to pick one up just before passport control.

If you are coming to work here, then may I give you a little advice, please? If you are an unpaid volunteer (for six weeks, this is what I am guessing), then say that you are a volunteer. Don't say "working". Please e-mail me and I'll clarify that. Also if you are here to help the local people, I hope you mean Mombasa, not Mombossa!!!

Thanks so much for joining those who are here to help Kenyans!

Wisconsin
6. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

I will be arriving in Mombassa from Nairobi at 11:30 pm-- nearly midnight--and want to get transportation into town. What is a safe yet relatively inexpensive way to do this at this time of night. How much should I pay?

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
7. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

WisconsinSuzi

I suggest you start a new post with that question. I don't think the right people will see it here. It needs to get into the Mombasa Forum

8. Re: Nairobi to Mombossa Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 19, 2009