We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arusha, Tanzania
reviews: 15
Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Hi, I am usually on the Tanzania forum but have a few questions about traveling into Kenya from Tanzania with my own safari jeep (Amboseli in particular):

1) If I am in Tanzania with a Tanzanian registered safari jeep, can I drive it across the border into Kenya for a game drive? The driver would hold a Tanzanian driver license, IF that makes a difference.

2) Are guides needed in Amboseli? Or can I do a self-drive?

3) If I cannot use my own jeep, can I rent a jeep at the border? Where?

Thanks in advance!

17 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 2
1. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Dear Kathy F,

Hello!

1. If the regulations havent changed a fortnight ago you will be able to cross the border with a Tanzania registered jeep, however you wont be allowed to go into the park with it for a game drive.

2. If this will be your first time to Amboseli, i would suggest get a good guide with experience of the roads and where to spot the animals, it might be a disappointment on your own.

3.Few companies in Kenya operate safaris using Jeeps as opposed to Tanzania, and those operating will never rent their jeeps on self drive basis. They will always hire there jeeps with driver. Try contact Kilele Afrika Ltd offices in Nairobi info@kileleafrika.com they have a few which they use for there Kenyan part.

Kathrine.

Arusha, Tanzania
2. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Perhaps I should have clarified that the driver is a safari driver/guide in Tanzania. We are business partners in a tour company in Tanzania, hence we have our own vehicle. Neither of us have been to Amboseli, though, so the roads would be new to him as well.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 198
3. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Kathy. I am not sure that Kathrine's information is correct.

KWS operate the Smart Card for NP entrances now and a Citizen Card covers all East African Residents on provision of their National ID. similarly a 'Car Card' is not specific to a Kenyan vehicle. Lots of visitors to Kenya self drive their own vehicles, as they also do in Tanzania too.

You will have to report to Park HQ with the paperwork maybe first but I don't anticipate any problem.

I shall be visiting Kenya later this year in a Ugandan Reg car with an Ugandan driver so if Katherine is correct I am in all sorts of trouble.

Arusha, Tanzania
4. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Thanks mfuwe! I am headed back to Tanzania the end of August and will be in Arusha for a couple of months. I hope to visit Amboseli while there. Just thought I would start investigating now if I can do a self-drive. Would hate to have to rent a jeep, or hire a driver/guide when I have my own jeep.

Isle of Man, United...
5. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Karibu sana.

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
6. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

It is my understanding that (unless things have recently changed) Ugandan registered vehicles are allowed in Kenyan parks, but those that are Tanzanian registered are not. I also understand that the same applies to Kenyan registered vehicles in Tanzania. I also understand that this has led to difficulty crossing the border into Kenya with a TZ registered tour vehicle. Its apparently to do with operators licences for the respective countries.

This affects tour companies and their vehicles, not private vehicles.

Edited: 1:01 am, July 23, 2014
Isle of Man, United...
7. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

That is my understanding too. It is a throw back to TZ not welcoming the influx that would come from Nairobi TO's and thus led to the land border between Serengeti and Maasai Mara being permanently closed.

Kathy may fall foul of that if the car is blatantly a TO's vehicle.

Arusha, Tanzania
8. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

Well, the vehicle is a safari-outfitted Land Cruiser (pop-up roof). Is that blatant? There are no painted decals with our company name on it, and I could just leave off the door stickers and wheel covers that advertise our company name. Not sure if that makes it "blatant" or not.

Isle of Man, United...
9. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

I should not be saying this on an open forum but...

Take off the Decals etc., so you have a plain car. For all the world like you are a rich long staying Mzungu lady doing a long trek through Africa and who has bought a 2nd hand car that just happened to be an ex Safari vehicle. Just make sure the Licence/Insurance papers don't say different!

nyc
10. Re: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?

nfuwe - maybe not saying so, but as I thought also.

As long as it's a private vehicle w/ documents to match, you should be able to cross borders.

My friend who is married to a Masai (both now with US Passports though he, I believe, is now dual) when they're spending 6/mos in Kenya, they often drive to Tanzania thru the border crossing (Mara-Serengeti) that isn't and never had an issue. No need to pass the Immigration post at Isebania... just go and understand other private citizens/vehicles can do so. It's just the safari vehicles that have an issue unless one or the other has a proper permit to do so.

Suggest you reconfirm with someone in Tanzania so you don't get caught up at the border or find yourself behind bars!

Reply to: Tanzania registered vehicles in Kenya allowed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted