We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

The missus and I are off for a week of bush therapy. 3 nights at Saruni camp in samburu and 3 nights at Tortilis camp in Amboseli.

Last night started of at Monikos Kitchen in Lavington. A surely waitress and most steaks not being available on the menu, lead us to La Salumeria, an Italian restaurant in an apartment building. 3 bottles off Amarone and T-bone steaks later, we were home for a few hours of shut eye.

This morning, we left home in Lavington at 6 am expecting the usual nairobi traffic, allowing an hour to get to Wilson airport, but pleasantly it only took us 20 minutes. Check in counters were being opened at Safarilink, and we encountered Monikos cafe again.

What can I say about Monikos? Aweful coffee, best described as dirty dish water and breakfast taking a good 40 minutes to be served. That being said, an airside view of planes moving, and taking off was awesome. Safarilink for me has to be the best safari airline in Kenya. They are professional, and I always feel safe with them.

Next up Saruni. Can't wait to get there, away from the noise and hustle bustle of nairobi.

18 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 198
11. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Thanks for the clarification on the four o clock rush. "Shoot and Scoot" ers. Good to see you took your time with the Ellies. A whole afternoon.

So you are now planning another?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
12. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Mfuwe, as we live in Kenya, we are always planning. We have a 5 night safari for November planned for Laikipia as we want to see wild dogs. And then a few shorter weekends in between - Chui lodge in Naivasha next month.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
13. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Where are you planning on going in Laikipia for dogs? I went to Laikipia Wilderness Camp last June for a week, and had fantastic dog sightings. In Nov they are likely to still be denning, and the den is usually up in the rocks and inaccessible. If you could go a little bit later (Dec) I would, as the dogs with the puppies will be out and about. I wrote a report on SafariTalk but some of my photos are here-

https:/…

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
14. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

stokeygirl, we were looking at Laikipia Wilderness Camp. In my booking with them, I did tell them we are coming for wild dogs, so surprised they did not mention the denning. Let me email them and ask. Thanks for the heads up.

Your pictures are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
15. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Annabelle is very helpful, although not always quick to respond as I think she only has internet when she goes into Nanyuki. They usually go into denning in September, although apparently it seems to be moving 2 weeks earlier every year. The year I was there (June 2013) they had come out of the den around Xmas/New Year. The next year (ie last Dec) it was a little earlier, I think.

On the plus side, when they are denning they are in one place, so assuming they find the den, you can always catch them going to and from the den site, but then they tend to rest up around the den. But my favourite sightings were when we found them resting, then sat and waited for them to wake up, do all their social greeting, then head off to hunt, and there's more chance of that when they are no longer staying at the den. Also, when they are mobile you will see the puppies. But I guess there is more chance when they are mobile that they might move off out of the area for a bit- they sometimes move onto one of the neighbouring ranches where you can't follow. There are 3 packs around, though (2 collared).

So there are pros and cons. Perhaps when denning, sightings might be more guaranteed, but when the pack is mobile, perhaps sightings might be better quality but less guaranteed.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
16. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Here's my report-

safaritalk.net/topic/…

We were allowed to go onto Mpala ranch, but I'm not sure if that is allowed any more- I heard from someone who has visited since that it isn't, or is under negotiation. I'm not sure, it might be worth asking Annabelle (I'd be interested to know the answer).

Hanover
reviews: 12
17. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Roadwarrior, I am leaving in less than two weeks and my first stop is Amboseli. You have really got my excitement building for it! This time on the 8th, I will be there! Thanks for all your wonderful feedback!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
18. Re: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report

Laura, how was your trip?

Reply to: Samburu and Amboseli live trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted