We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

It has been suggested that having a single thread where people can post their trip reports will make it easier for people to access information when doing the research for their own trips.

133 replies to this topic
Chennai (Madras...
111. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

"When life gave me a go-ahead for experiencing an African safari, the mighty internet stumbled to provide me with any first-hand information for a solo traveler from India to embark on his dream trip on a shoe-string budget.

However, I would not let go of an opportunity of my lifetime. And here I'm preparing to set foot on Masai Mara this October (2014).

With an intention to put in my two cents for fellow citizens looking for some first-hand information on a similar trip; I'm writing a blog covering how it started, how I go about the plan, and the itinerary when it happens. This would be a continuous blog, which would cease with the settling dust of this solo, but passionate, trip of mine."

...Continue reading further at my blog: http://serengetipassions.blogspot.in/

Edited: 1:46 am, July 25, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 1
112. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

Just returned from a truly amazing Safari trip with Kensington Tours. It was a private tour for just my husband and me and I can't even begin to describe what a fabulous trip it was. We knew the places we wanted to visit and Kensington arranged all the lodging and transportation and provided wonderful, knowledgeable guides. Aurelie Gilles with Kensington Tours planned the trip itinerary and transportation. We had wonderful accommodations, farmhouses to tented camps to the Giraffe Manor outside Nairobi. All tents had complete bathroom facilities. We had cocktails out by the fire at night and ate gourmet meals everywhere. The tour was comparable in price to many of the group tours available but covered special places we wanted to see that were not included on the group tours.

Our guide in Kenya was James Karuiki. He was such a pleasure to be with, extremely knowledgeable and helpful. One of our trip highlights were the six (yes, six) lions sleeping in a tree that he found.

Below is our intiniary and lodging. We have had several people who have traveled to Africa and live in Tanzania, tell us we hit all the best places…and we were only gone for two weeks. We started planning our next trip before we left. East Africa is truly “the garden of Eden” with amazing animals and wonderful friendly people.

Day 1 Arrive, pick up at airport Crowne Plaza, Nairobi

Day 2 Karen Blixen House Crowne Plaza, Nairobi

David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

Giraffe Center

Kazuri Beads

Day 3 Travel from Nairobi to Amboseli Serena Amboseli

Afternoon game drive

Day 4 Amboseli Game drives Serena Amboseli

Maasi village and tour

Day 5 Travel from Amboseli to Ngorongoro in Tanzania

Border Crossing and guide change

Dinner and entertainment at Ngorongoro Farm House

Day 6 Crater Tour Ngorongoro Farm House

Day 7 Travel from Ngorongoro to Serengeti with stop at Olduvai Gorge

Mbugani Camps (Tent)

Day 8 Games Drives Mbugani Camps

Day 9 Game Drive and airport drop off

Travel to Masai Mara

Afternoon Game Drive Mara West (Tent)

Day 10 Hot Air Balloon Ride Mara West

Game Drives

Day 11 Travel from Masai Mara to Lake Nakuru Sarova Lion Hill

Game drive

Day 12 Travel from Lake Nakuru to Nairobi Giraffe Manor

Side excursion to Lake Lake Naivasha for boat ride and lunch

Day 13 Departure, driver to airport

This was truly the “trip of a lifetime”! A couple of suggestions…if you have the time, allow yourself an afternoon (or even a whole day) somewhere between half way through and two-thirds the way though for a “rest period”. Be advised the game drives are on bumpy roads (called African massage), but worth every minute. One of our concerns were restroom facilities on the trip…our guides made sure we had plenty of places to stop and all the hotels/camps were in-suite and exceptional.

I would recommend this trip to anyone. Thanks so much Kensington!

Oakland, CA
reviews: 152
113. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

Thanks, Mrs M! How was the road between nairobi and Amboseil?

Lubbock, Texas
114. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

I just returned from a wonderful Kenya Safari Express - with Friendly Planet. . it was excellent! Steve, our driver, got us close to cheetahs, elephants, lions, giraffes, zebras, wildebeests, & more. We have pictures of a baby giraffe trying to stand three times, but the birth sac kept tripping it. Mama stood guard with the cord dangling down her leg. One night at Lake Naivasha Sopa Lodge, I saw a hippo grazing below my balcony, with a giraffe nibbling across the field, & zebras hanging out. I was so thrilled I couldn't get to sleep! Truly an experience of a lifetime!

Baltimore, Maryland
115. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

Kenya trip was amazing. Went to Olonana in the Mara then Ol Donyo. Also visited Singita Sasakwa in Tanzania which was also incredible. But FYI about flying into and out of Kenya:

We recently had a horrible KLM experience in Africa! The WORST flying experience in my lifetime. KLM had no record of us flying into Kenya because they didn't "close" our outbound KLM flight in their computer system... So we couldn't check in on our return flight on their "partner" Kenya Air. NO ONE in Nairobi from either airline would help. Had to call an outside country to get help from a different partner airline (Delta). It was absolutely terrible and honestly scary. We had our visas stamped and our inbound KLM boarding passes, but all the Nairobi KLM supervisor would do is "send an email" to fix the computer issue. Be warned!

Boston...
reviews: 8
116. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

Katie, I'm sorry to hear about the systems SNAFU - it sounds like KLM really dropped the ball. What exactly are you warning people about? Flying KLM/Air Kenya? There are many regulars that have flown in and out of Kenya on Air Kenya many times without concern. I would suggest that you complain (politely but persistently) to KLM and perhaps they will give you addional Flying Blue miles or some other sort of compensation.

Fareham, United...
117. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

Hi all this is my first time posting a review. We have just returned from a trip to Kenya - we went with Virgin Travel who used Rhino Safaris Ltd in Nairobi. The holiday was amazing, we had the same Guide all week - Zach - whose knowledge was incredible and he knew the national parks like the back of his hand. We started our safari trip at Samburu for a couple of nights, stayed in the Samburu lodge which was very nice, clean and comfortable, food fine and staff very welcoming. Moved onto Outspan Country Club and Treetops, then to Lake Nakuru and Lake Navaisha, where we went on a boat safari, the guide there too was very helpful and full of information. Then we moved to Masai Mara for the last 3 days of our trip again very well organised and enjoyable. All in all a very hectic but amazing holiday packed full of memories - we saw the big 5 and much much more. Would definitely recommend this holiday - and Zach our guide.

Oakland, CA
118. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

thanks, safari 231. What was your accommodation in Masia mara?

Fareham, United...
119. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

we stayed at the Keekorok Lodge in Masai Mara - beautiful grounds including a 'hippo bar' with lots of hippos around and other animals, buffalo, zebras perfect to sit, drink and watch and take the odd photo or two! The rooms were great too, large glass windows/patio doors so that at night you could sit in bed and watch hippos and zebras munch around the grass - the first night we did see a hyena too - just amazing. We would definitely recommend staying here.

Oakland, CA
120. Re: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here

Thanks Safari231. I've stayed tat Keekorok and love it too!!! I've stayed at other lovely Mara places and enjoyed them too, but there isomething about keekorok. The food isn't as good as some other places, but the grounds, the hippo pool, the design of the lodge, are wonderful! Keekorok was they fist ever lodge in Masai Mara--long before it was "cool" to go there! It was opened by Jomo Kenyatta shortly after Kenyan independence the 1960s. So staying there is really a part of Kenya's history!

Reply to: Kenya Trip Reports - post your trip report here
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted