We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coffee

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona...
reviews: 16
coffee

Hi there,

I'm wondering how drinkable the coffee is in Kenya/Tanzania?

I'm a European and normally kick start my day with two cups of fresh coffee with milk, followed by another to wake me up after lunch/siesta.

I cannot drink instant coffee because the taste is so bad and the caffeine content is too low to have enough effect.

I know coffee may be grown i this part of the world, but experience has taught me that this doesnt not mean good coffee is served everywhere, or at a reasonable price.

Should i bring my own? My partner takes her own tea bags!

Thanks!!

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
1. Re: coffee

I'm also fussy about coffee and can't bear instant. It depends where you are staying I guess but all the lodges that I have stayed in serve excellent coffee. Plus they don't have tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. I wouldn't bother bringing tea bags either. Kenyan tea is very very good. We always bring tea and coffee back from Kenya not take it with us!

Mombasa, Kenya
2. Re: coffee

Coffee served locally is not bad, all depends on how it is made. I like mine really strong, so if I am ordering, I ask for strong, also specify hot or cold milk. Often on safari in lodges/camps it is already made for early morning breakfast so you would not have much choice unless order and they make for you.

Now, I can understand bringing tea bags, but as you do not take instant coffee, what are you going to do if you bring coffee with you? How are you going to make it yourself? I think you will be fine with coffee here. In lodges/camps and some hotels you will have more limited options, however there are some great coffee shops here and you can satisfy your craving to the fullest if you venture out of your hotel (Nairobi, Mombasa, South Coast, Malindi).

I have not been to TZ for years, so cannot comment on their coffee.

Enjoy your trip to Kenya!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Barcelona...
3. Re: coffee

Thanks Val!

Barcelona...
4. Re: coffee

Thanks Larissa!

I once spent a week at sea on a very basic fishing boat in Indonesia. There was no shower, never mind coffee making facilities. I bought myself a bag of Lombok ground coffee and just dumped boiling water on top, then waited for it to settle. It's quite thick,and sludgy, like how my Russian friend used to make it, but it does the job!!

Mombasa, Kenya
5. Re: coffee

Ha-ha! So cafetiere is just a posh version of the same then! No, don't worry, you will be fine with what you get here! :)

Larissa

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
6. Re: coffee

I always ask for cold milk when ordering tea or coffee as that's my preference. If you don't specify it usually comes with hot milk. Has anyone noticed that milk jugs in Kenya never pour? They always dribble making a mess of the table cloth.

Dorman's cappuccino is delicious!

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 34
7. Re: coffee

I find the coffee in Dormans, Cafeserria, and Java to be excellent and much better to what I manage to get here in UK coffee shops.

nyc
8. Re: coffee

You'd be surprised (or not) how many people at the airport on their way home are purchasing pounds of Dorman's or other coffee brands to take home. Gotta be good stuff.

And as mentioned above, NO coffee making equipment to prepare in your own room/tent. If your partner brings tea bags, she'll have to wait till sitting down for meal to get boiled water.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
9. Re: coffee

Kenyan coffee is one of the best in World. Alot of it gets exported b'coz of it's excellent quality. Depending on where you'll be staying, more often than not, instant coffee is served. You can. always buy fresh ground coffee from local supermarket & carry it with you on safari. Dormans & Java coffee is good quality.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
10. Re: coffee

Where are you staying? The upmarket camps serve proper brewed coffee in plungers, but many of the larger lodges tend to serve burnt acrid coffee. You can buy plastic coffee plungers, that you can then carry with you, and ask for hot water to make your own.