We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time safari

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
First time safari

My husband and I are hoping to go on safari for 3/4 days and then off to a beach resort. Does it work out cheaper if we stay in one lodge and make the most of the game drives each day instead of moving from location to location

Kuoni have quoted a small fortune with lots of moving around. What other reputable tour operators are there that I can book with

Apologies if I seem naive on the topic,this idea has only come about the last few days and after looking at photos have become hooked on the idea but disappointed at the huge cost!

Chester, United...
reviews: 6
1. Re: First time safari

The parks are all different and to see the beauty of Kenya I think it is good to move around and experience more than one lodge. We have just returned from a wonderful safari with PD Tours and Safaris and it was reasonable compared to other quotes we got. www.pdtoursandsafaris

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 3
2. Re: First time safari

Greetings

My advice is if you are for example staying at the Maasai Mara, stay in one lodge/hotel of your choice. Moving to different lodges will for sure be more expensive since different lodges have different rates. Browse the different rates and see which one fits your budget. Then stay there and use it as your base to explore the park. A great driver guide will always accommodate your gamedrive needs subject to park regulations.

3. Re: First time safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, May 14, 2013
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
4. Re: First time safari

No touting Louis!

Isle of Man, United...
5. Re: First time safari

we are going on the big five safari with cosmos, we are staying in five different lodges, we are coming from the uk, do we take suitcases or small luggage. do we travel around with our luggage.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 2
6. Re: First time safari

Kuoni might be a bit expensive but with good service though you can also get better deals out there with the local operator. My agent has always been best to me interms of there price,service and everything at large.

Ilford, United...
reviews: 21
7. Re: First time safari

Anthony, I can't speak for Cosmos but have done similar safaris with Thomson so would assume the principles are the same

I'm assuming you are going straight off on holiday on arrival in Kenya? Are you going to a beach hotel afterwards?

My husband & I take two suitcases - the larger one is for the 2nd week at the beach and is taken from us by our reps and stored at the hotel until our return, the smaller one has all our clothes etc for the safari and travels in the "boot" of the safari van. Ideally the bags for the safari should be soft sided rucksack/holdalls as space is limited however we have never had a problem with our small case which ends up being at the bottom of the pile ;-)

I hope that helps

Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: First time safari

hello

If you want to visit Maasai Mara during high season, i would suggest that you spend the 3 nights in one location. or 1 night in Nakuru and 2 nights in Masai Mara

All the best

9. Re: First time safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 16, 2014