We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many blank pages in passport?

Manchester, United...
How many blank pages in passport?

I'm heading to Africa this summer....I'm flying into Zambia, then travelling through Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda, and may possibly enter into Zimbabwe and/or Malawi.

I have 9 blank pages left in my passport at the moment and am wondering if anyone knows if this will be enough? It appears that I may need 2 blank pages to enter into some countries, but there is little definitive information that I can find about other countries. Has anyone travelled a similar route that can advise me?

Thanks!!

manchester, United...
reviews: 44
1. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

You'll need one page each for Kenya Tanzania or Uganda so in theory even if the other countries want 2 pages you should be ok. However my OH says most countries ask for two blank pages so as long as you have two left for your last country you should be fine.

nyc
2. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

... then as soon as you arrive home 'renew' your passport even if the expiry date is years away. You never want to be caught having to go somewhere and have insufficient pages for Visas at the last minute.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
3. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

Kenya does officially require two blank facing pages, one for the sticker and the other for the stamps, though they will allow you in with one. The last time I came in I only had two blank pages and they were not facing but in different parts of the passport. I decided to risk it but apologised as I handed the passport over for stamping saying I knew knew there should be two facing, the Immigration officer was a bit grumpy about it and said there should actually be 4 which was strange but I didn't query it, being technically in the wrong.

manchester, United...
4. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

That's interesting because on the Kenya High Commission site under Visa Requirements it actually says.....

"A valid passport with at least one unused page for endorsement."

kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/visaspass…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
5. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

I know Val but I'm afraid that website is very slow to make changes and is often out of date, they haven't updated that part since they introduced the sticker visa which takes a whole page up by itself. (Don't suppose they are too bothered what happens at the airport anyway, they are only interested in visas obtained in advance and only have to put the sticker in)

I'm afraid the Kenya Immigration Dept webpage is down today (it frequently is) but Google "Kenya Visa two blank pages" and you will get lots of hits for the change eg this warning by the US State Dept

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1151.html

Edited: 5:16 am, May 13, 2013
manchester, United...
6. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

So my husband's advice about needing two for most countries is probably right - even though they really only need one! But as for needing four - that just sounds like immigration being difficult! But I guess if the OPs travel arrangements are flexible he/she must just have two pages for his final country.......but if they are fixed then he/she probably would be safer getting a new passport!

Edited: 5:21 am, May 13, 2013
Manchester, United...
reviews: 66
7. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

Immigration in Kenya being difficult & grumpy Doff & Val, well that's unusual !!!!

shamba25
reviews: 6
8. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

Beano that was a really good question - I was wondering the same approx 6 months ago having only 6 full pages left, now only 3, I did try researching on various sites & sorry to say different answers & no real solution - I did contact the passport office in the UK thinking I could send my passport off to have further pages inserted, but alas no that service is not available now - ( O the good old days) & I would have to apply for a new passport even though my current one does not run out until 2019 - He could not answer my question for number of pages required & suggested & look at the countries web site - Result perfect circle haha - So if you or anyone else finds out, would be grateful if you could share the information.,,, many thanks

manchester, United...
9. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

Don't start me on UK passport office. I paid for a jumbo 48 pages and even paid extra for the post office to check it was correct. When it came back it was 32 pages but the post office were adamant they had paid the passport office and the passport office were equally adamant they had only been paid for a standard passport. I gave up in the end. even more irritating my husband's came back a full 48 pages.

10. Re: How many blank pages in passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 15, 2014