We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

intrepid kitty payments on arrival (gorillas to cape)

Australia
reviews: 9
intrepid kitty payments on arrival (gorillas to cape)

hi

I'm planning on an overland trip with Intrepid and the kitty payment due is high (over $4,000) I'm just wondering how people have safely made this payment in the past? I'm planning on about a months worth of travel in Egypt and the Middle east prior to arriving in Africa so traveling with cash is definitely not an option and I'm unsure how to withdraw such a high amount from a cash passport/credit card on arrival in Nairobi.

Any tips?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
1. Re: intrepid kitty payments on arrival (gorillas to cape)

I would ask Intrepid directly. $4000 in cash? From each client? That truck is a rolling liability, especially since everyone in online and has mobiles these days (including the bad guys). I don't understand why the overland companies still do the local kitty thing. It reminds me of "airline taxes". A clear final price with no extras would be such a strong incentive. It's not as if the driver can't get cash from ATMs all over Africa these days. As for what you do if you really have to deliver somebody $4000 cash in Nairobi, I'm stumped. I would ask the company to meet me at the airport and take the cash from me there and then.

Good luck!

Richard Trillo

shamba25
reviews: 6
2. Re: intrepid kitty payments on arrival (gorillas to cape)

Hi - When I did an Overland trip, the payments were requested in stages usually at the stops where we stayed a few days/nights & I withdrew via atms smaller amounts each time- This was a number of years ago so possibly things have moved on since then - Is it possible for the full kitty to be paid upfront before you start your trip? I know the Kitty usually includes food & additional trips & some trips you may not wish to indulge in, but any kitty not used is refunded at the end - Alternatively & this may sound odd - How about sending via western Union, monies to yourself, in maybe 6 different payments, before you leave ,or maybe whilst your travelling you could leave the money back home for someone else to do it in stages, they seem to have outlets all over the world, even where there are no ATMs, & think its upto 3 months to collect?? it would cost you a little more though to send.- Sorry I did say it sounded odd -

3. Re: intrepid kitty payments on arrival (gorillas to cape)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 15, 2014