We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doxycyline for Malaria

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Doxycyline for Malaria

Iam currently in the US but will traveling to Kenya in early June. Do I need a prescription to buy Doxycyline in Nairobi? I would want to be able to buy it from a reputable pharmacy there.

If yes, will a prescription from my doctor in the US be acceptable in Kenya?

I want to buy it in Kenya (Nairobi) because I am assuming it will be cheaper to do that. 100 pills from my pharmacy in the US will cost me $160 .

Thanks

Jerry

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
11. Re: Doxycyline for Malaria

J,

re post 7 - "Yes if someone knows if I need a prescription and if my US doctor's script will be accepted in Kenya, that will be very helpful"

that is already answered in posts 3 & 4 by Val and me - you can buy it over the counter without a prescription

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
12. Re: Doxycyline for Malaria

It is very easy to buy quality checked doxy here in Kenya without a prescription. I think the least time I bought it the cost was 5/- per capsule as quoted above.

Rochester, New York
13. Re: Doxycyline for Malaria

Steve, that is what the US government says about Canadian pharmacies. My hope is if I buy from a reputable pharmacy in Kenya, the question of reliability will be minimized. And the cost will be 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a Canadian pharmacy. Which poses the question, what would be considered the most reliable pharmacies in Nairobi? That is where I would purchase the doxycyline

Jerry

Edited: 6:50 am, May 13, 2013
Maryland, USA
reviews: 9
14. Re: Doxycyline for Malaria

"that is what the US government says about Canadian pharmacies."

Jerry, you're right about that. The US government and its agencies must say that because it's the basis of the country's Prescription Drug Act. But the US gov't, using 'enforcement discretion,' does not prosecute those buying personal use drugs in Canada and I think it's given, generally speaking, that drugs purchased from a reliable seller in Canada, which has drug regulations and testing protocols similar to ours, will raise much less questions about drug quality than those bought in less developed countries.

At any rate, good luck and have a great time in Kenya.

15. Re: Doxycyline for Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 15, 2014