We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October 2013 Safari.... Help required

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Insch, Scotland...
October 2013 Safari.... Help required

Any help appreciated, I am planning a trip to either Zimbabwe, Kenya or Tanzania in October 2013. I will be travelling with my daughter (15) and girlfirend and would like advice on booking a private safari. This is a surprise trip (organisisng it myself) so any assistance is a plus. Having read some of the forums on this site private safari seems to be for us, very ealry stages so what is best for 14 nights = 7 days safari / 7 days Hotel or a safari mid way, few days chillout / safari / few days chillout. Any recommendations for local safari bookings?

18 replies to this topic
1. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013

nyc
2. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

What do you mean by 'chill out?'

Does this mean beach time? Well, if so... it's either Kenyan or Tanzanian Coast.

If this means 'city' time? Nairobi in Kenya doesn't really need more than 2/days, nor Arusha in Tanzania.

With two weeks, you have sufficient time to visit/safari a bit in both countries. And maybe even a few days on the coast. Also, regardless how close these two countries appear on a map, distances can be great and roads not the best, so you have options to 'drive' some places, or 'fly' in small planes elsewhere.

As to this being a surprise, it won't be once the participants have to visit doc for malaria meds and any inoculations needed depending on where visiting, and for sure once they have to start packing and know they're limited in weight. Visas will be required for both countries though these can be purchased on arrival.

Know that Oct is peak season at both countries, so at the highest prices.

Important for you to know yours and their interests and what areas would best suit. This is your holiday, so if you haven't yet done so, suggest you pick-up a guidebook for either/both countries to have an idea of what is on offer... history, culture, game, various parks/reserves, which beaches, weather, health, type of accommodations, estimated costs, etc.

In otherwords, we need more info from you to determine whether you're even on the right track.

Insch, Scotland...
3. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

Thanks, the surprise is only until I get somehting confirmed i.e. flights Itineray. So far I have contacted my loacal travel agent who is very much tryingthe package route but on a few recommendations I have also contacted Keron Tour and like Mary have been very impressed with the prompt responses.

So far they have recommended 2, maasai mara and samburu national park. October suits my daughters school holidays so a bit restricted. I did think of fly into Nairobi head to Mombasa for 3 nights, then 7 nights safari and return to Mombasa for the remaining 3-4 days however seeing the distance is that a good idea? Or is it better just to start the safari direct from Nairobi then 7 nights beach to finsih off? Thanks for taking the time to advise.

Insch, Scotland...
4. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

Mary appreciated, I have taken your advice and contacted keron and very prompt response. I noted you mentioned hotels booked via them, I thought by the e-mail response they only did the safari, or would they sort the hotel aswell? haven't decide yet whether to do a few days either side of the safari or just go straight ot safari and finish the holiday at the beach. If they could the only thing then to sort from the UK would be the flights?

Thanks

Brian

5. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, December 30, 2013

Insch, Scotland...
6. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

Cheers Keron seem to be very switched on the are getting mr prices for the beach hotel 7days, they recommend 7 days safari first then 7 days beach to end with to cut down on lost time travelling, also recommending at end of safari flight to diani airstrip. Then transfer back to Nairobi after Mombasa, impressed with their response's

Thanks,

Brian

manchester, United...
reviews: 42
7. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

Brian,

Can I suggest contacting a few tour operators in Kenya to get an idea of what they can offer. Send them the same itinerary so that you can see how they compare. You can get a list from the KATO site or at very least try other companies that have been recommended on here. This site is plagued with touts and it can be very difficult to work out who is posting a genuine recommendation or who is working for the Tour Operator.

nyc
8. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

Agree with Val - contact a few outfitters; send each individual emails with your requirements, how many people (incl age of daughter... discounts maybe), # of days, areas of interest for safari, type of accommodations, estimated budget. Be sure to compare like-with-like and not apples/oranges. If you find a routing/accomm/price you can ask a few of the others contacted to price and compare again.

Good luck!

Insch, Scotland...
9. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

I naively thought this would be simply but seems to be a multitude of options for this break, firstly which is the best option Kenya or Tanzania? Also now considering 7 nights safari and 3 nights in Nairobi before the fly home,I have had some costs back and at nearly £4K each it is looking more expensive than originally thought. That was for 14 nights in Tansania, the safari is the focus of the holiday so not to bothered about dropping the beach side of things as we are having a beach brak in July.

Insch, Scotland...
10. Re: October 2013 Safari.... Help required

P.S. Any recommendations for private safari provider, I have been in contact with Keron but a little concerned they don't appear on KATO members list.

Cheers,

Edited: 1:38 am, April 16, 2013
Reply to: October 2013 Safari.... Help required
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted