We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price for safari and beach ---- is this for real?

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 6
Price for safari and beach ---- is this for real?

August 8 day fly in safari: 1 night house of warne, 3 nights Tortillis camp, 4 nights at cuttars 1920's camp followed by 4 nights at Diamonds laguine dellest in Zanzibar

Price with a discount is £12890 for 2 people (all flights including from/ to heathrow)

Does that represent value for money? I want to do this safari, i have to go in the summer holidays ( teacher) --- so used to high prices, but was shocked by this......

Any suggestions as to how I could reduce this price? I want to see the migration, I do not want to travel to camps by jeep and i want good views of animals from the camps etc. my research on these forums helped me choose the camps but obviously no prices..........

nyc
1. Re: Price for safari and beach ---- is this for real?

Considering that Cottar's 'rack rate' (highest) is $930+/pp/nt and Tortilis's rate is $590/pp/nt + park fees, then meet/greet/transfers to/from airport in Nairobi, Nairobi hotel which price is reasonable, the flights to/from/between areas including that to ZNZ... all meals, VAT/taxes. While I don't know rates for Diamond's del-est on ZNZ, and on top of that your international flights UK/KEN... yes... it can cost about $10K/person during August.

In fact with the Int'l flights, price can be considered a bargain. This averages about $750/pp/nt (13/nts... including int'l flights). Also, except for NBO hotel, your beverages at Cottars and Tortilis are included (but for champagne).

The avg per nt cost is actually less than Cottar's per nt rack rate.

If traveling outside August which is the busiest month when the 6+/nt combo of Cottars and Tortilis would have entitled you to at minimum 10% discount on daily room nights... it's not available in August.

So, unless you downgrade your accommodations... the total price is pretty much as shown.

While Cottar's is a lovely camp, do know that for visit during August when the migration is in the Mara, it's an awfully long drive to the 'river crossing' points. Maybe consider inquiring of a luxe camps closer to the Reserve and at lower cost, maybe by 1/3.

Good luck!

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Price for safari and beach ---- is this for real?

Thank you

Could you offer some alternative suggestions that I could look int?

I have found the range of choices quite overwhelming at times!

3. Re: Price for safari and beach ---- is this for real?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 22, 2014