We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or Fly to Amboseli

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
13 posts
Drive or Fly to Amboseli

We are going to Kenya in Jan and we have just been given the option of Flying to Amboseli from Wilson rather than taking the 4 hour trip over roads. Is it worth it for $140/person extra? Will we be missing anything by flying instead of driving across the countryside?

kenya
Level Contributor
82 posts
1. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

Would advise you to drive,the road to Amboseli via Kimana is very good and at the same time enjoy the scenery and the backdrop of Kilimanjaro.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
198 reviews
2. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

Yes we drove, it made a nice change from the several flights, lots to see en route.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

you will miss alot by road.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
4. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

Personally there's not much to see when driving. Might as well fly.

Drive is 4/hrs not arriving Amboseli till about 12N earliest, lunch and afternoon game drive not till about 3:30-4pm. You'll have own guide/vehicle for game drives.

Flying is 45/min, departing Wilson about 7:30-8am; met by lodge/camp guide/vehicle and have a morning game drive till you reach your lodge/camp; lunch and then afternoon game drive. Game drives to be conducted on a shared basis with other guests.

The $140 sounds like a one-way fare, so where do you go after Amboseli and if flying to, assume will fly back... thus another fare? Clarify this.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

I'd drive -- it's only 2-3 hrs and interesting scenery. Be prepared to pay the local traffic cops some bribes though. If you fly, be CERTAIN you can make the flight, if you miss it the next one is often not until the next day I found out the hard way. Avoid AirKenya at all costs -- they are a nightmare.

Berwyn, Pennsylvania
13 posts
6. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

Thanks for the responses. All other flights between camps are included. I think we are leaning towards the flight so we can spend more time in camp. After that is on to Ol Pejeta (Porini Rhino) and then to the masai mara.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
198 reviews
7. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

Also do be aware that some flights are not always as long as advertised. We took a flight that was supposed to be 30 mins. after flying45mins in the opposite direction to pick up one person, a wait of 15 mins and then over an hour back we were over 2 hours. Also factor in then time from airport to the camp, this can often be an hour or more. Enjoy the porini camps, I loved them, see my report on this forum, check for it in my profile

Berwyn, Pennsylvania
13 posts
8. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

Thanks for the trip report, I don't know that I would have found it if you hadn't mentioned it. We are visiting 3 of the camps (amboseli, rhino and lion) and are looking forward to our first trip to Africa. Still considering making the drive, but am receiving some opposition from my better half.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
9. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

>>We took a flight that was supposed to be 30 mins. after in the opposite direction to pick up one person, a wait of 15 mins and then over an hour back we were over 2 hours. Also factor in then time from airport to the camp, this can often be an hour or more.<<

Welcome to Africa. It's unlikely the air carriers will leave a pax with no way of getting to where they are going, so sometimes this happens. Am sure if it was you, you'd be glad to know you'll not be left behind. And yes... sometimes it can take an hour or longer to reach a particular lodge/camp from the airstrip, but is a game drive. Be glad you don't have to walk!

Likewise, routing can change from day-to-day depending on pax load.

As to flights to Amboseli there are two in the morning (one each Air Kenya and Safarilink) and one in the afternoon (Safarilink).

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
198 reviews
10. Re: Drive or Fly to Amboseli

4sandi I was merely pointing out to the original poster that flying to get more time in resort might not always be as simple as it seems.... Are you trying to suggest I was complaining?