We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LOS ANGELES
Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

I have spent 25+ yrs. in the travel industry..after retirement I booked (at full fare) A&K Egypt & Kenya Tour - cost $40,000K (we did fly business class)...it was and is the worst trip of both of our lives..me at 50 and my husband late 60's. What a SCAM. Flights booked at rediculous hours like dinner until 10PM with a 3AM wake up call and full day touring in 120 degrees F. At most 2 hours of sleep, poor accomodations, boring, boring, boring itineraries...you do not know this until you have paid and until you have arrived. DO THIS; book a high end hotel suite in Egypt, book private and fun tours like seeing the Pyramids at night with key guide Azza Ammar (best in entire country), Grand Hyatt dinner boat cruise on the Nile..book only the MS IV boat for Luxor Cruise with A&K - so fun, Samir is the Head Host - take care of your own choice of flights, in April - May, tour in late afternoon and evening - everything is lit up and it's much more enjoyable and beautiful...for Africa the same - book your own adventures and hotels and hire local guides and tours...we are in the middle of our trip and feel so taken, so ripped off. The profit margin for A&K is near $1500 a day per person...at 14 days that's $21,000...what a waste. The best of the best in tours has crashed and burned. Don't be taken! We are blessed with the ability to travel first class anywhere we wish...we'll never book with A&K again..we would have rathered to donate the money to charity or treat others..what a waste of our time, energy and money....BORING, BORING AND A TOTAL AND COMPLETE RIP OFF!

86 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
1. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

You're obviously very upset, but rather than just shouting, could you provide details? Where, exactly, have Abercrombie & Kent gone wrong, as far as you're concerned?

Richard

Edited: 9:46 am, May 18, 2010
Zanzibar
2. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

All we have shocked on this and the best performances of A &K.

But you have to write all your Itinerary details which based on your needs and what A&K went wrong.

Because the post above do not elaborate all things which went wrong and we don't know what you wanted in the package.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

nyc
3. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

As the others,it's obvious you're upset, but have to wonder what questions you asked prior, about the itinerary, hours, accommodations, etc. Did you contact other tour operators? Who? And, why did you finally choose to go with A&K?

Visiting Egypt when most months the temps are high, much of the sightseeing is done very early in the day or later in the afternoon when things cool. We too were often up at 3am to get to the airport (thru horrible traffic) for 7am flights; or for sightseeing at the Valley of Kings where by 9am the temps can reach 100-degrees, we were there before 6am. So what specifics can you tell us about.

And, though you don't mention, how was the Kenyan segment of your trip... you are posting on the Kenya Forum.

A&K is one of the most expensive tour operators, so well understand feeling your money wasn't well spent, but details would be appreciated. Especially so if others are considering using this company in the future.

4. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, May 28, 2010

5. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, May 28, 2010

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
6. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

TAKEN, I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences with A&K. As a former employee, I'm hearing more and more of this kind of complaint about them. The only thing I can say, without going into too much detail, is that their money-grabbing attitude looks like it is coming back to haunt them. I'm not going to put too much on here but trust me when I say, your hard-earned cash is not going into the pockets of the hard-working employees at grass-roots level.

There are, sadly, now far better outfits than A&K providing the luxury product who also have a commitment to their employees, accommodation standards and the community, not to mention their customers. I don't work for them but can highly recommend &Beyond for any future tours you might take.

I hope you are taking the matter further with A&K and that you get some resolution to your complaint.

FL410

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experiences. It is especially helpful to get feedback while you are still traveling so we can make immediate changes to your liking. I am pleased that you have reported that you are currently enjoying the safari experience and are appreciative of our on-the-ground response. Thank you also for taking the time to mention the great service you experienced with our Abercrombie & Kent employees, Azza and Samir, and of course your recommendation of our Sun Boat IV. You are in great hands with our team in Kenya but do not hesitate to let me know if you need anything.

Jennifer Leska

Vice President Tour Sales and Client Relations

Abercrombie & Kent USA

Edited: 4:04 pm, May 20, 2010
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
8. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Jennifer

I am sure I can speak for thousands of TA users who will be astonished at your response to the posting at the top of this thread that we have no reason to doubt was made by a client of A&K currently touring Kenya. That person is clearly anything *but* enjoying their safari experience in A&K's hands.

Your post reeks of a formulaic response. Your clients don't mention "great service", but being "ripped off" by "the worst trip of [their] lives". Any thinking person knows it's impossible for a tour operator to get it right every time, with every client, but intervention in a public forum like this requires a personal, considered response, not a corporate pitch.

Nobody is impressed by that.

Richard

Miami, Florida
reviews: 40
9. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Richard,

Since I don't see a way to "thank" or give a "thumbs up" to posts here, as can be done on some other forums, I wanted to say I very much agree with your post. I read Jennifer's post and was just shaking my head in disbelief.

Shanzu, Kenya
reviews: 54
10. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Jennifer,

As you took the time to respond why not address the issues raised by the OP.

Judging by your reply I guess you must be a part-time Politician - lots of waffle without ever referring to the original point.

Your carefully scripted reply merely confirms your lack of concern for your Customer.

Is that what you call Client Relations ?

Edited: 2:59 am, May 21, 2010
Reply to: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted