We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrogate, United...
reviews: 1
Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

I wonder if anyone can advise us regarding suitable clothing/footwear and anything else we need to be aware of on our forthcoming Nile cruise? We will have some early morning starts and we would like to know how cold it is likely to be at 6.30 am when we go off the boat? Will we need long sleeved tops and trousers? Are sandals OK or are trainers better for sightseeing round temples? We are back on the boat for lunch every day and then relaxing for the afternoons.We have been on beach holidays in Egypt before at this time of year but we were never up that early!!

Luxor, Egypt
reviews: 24
1. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Come the 25th, the early morning temperatures will still be a bit chilly, but it soon warms up when you're in the sun. Spring should begin while you're here, and you'll notice the difference over a couple of days.

For sightseeing; trainers would be more suitable than sandals, but sandals would probably do as well, as long as they haven't high heels!

I would suggest that you have a read of all the topics in the "Top Questions" on the right of this page, as almost everything you need to know can be found there.

I wish I could revisit the thrills and wonders of my very first Nile cruise, and I hope that you find yours as memorable.

Best wishes,

Edward.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
reviews: 118
2. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Hi there

As Edward suggests, look at the top questions written in blue down the right hand side of the forum page, in particular the link to "Clothing - Tips on appropriate clothing for visiting Luxor & The Nile Valley".

You could take a fleece or lightweight jacket with you - in fact, if you wear it to travel it will save you some room in your case.

You won't need formal clothes for the cruise itself - smart casual will be fine.

Norwich, United...
3. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

hi we are also going out on a cruice with jules verne on the 25th and will be on the ss misr. clothing wise for the visits i think we will take loose fitting casual clothes but i understand that the boat is quite smaart which will be quite nice as most of our holidays are birdwatching and scuffy dressed, so off to buy something half decent

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 84
4. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Remember it will get hotter as the morning goes on and it will depend on when you are going on your cruise.

I went in Feb and wore long breathable trousers, tee shirt with cotton shirt over and flip flops. I found trainers too warm.

Perhaps wear the trainers and stuff a pair of flip flops in a bag so it you are out later you can cool off. Take a small ruck sack to put sun lotion, water, hand gel etc in anyway.

It was mainly at night at this time of year I would put a jacket over my cotton dress at night. And I'm from a warmer part of the UK than you :-)

Glossop, United...
reviews: 51
5. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Arrived back today. For the Temples and Tombs need trainers or good flat shoes.

Light cotton clothing, evenings slightly chilly up in Luxor but very mild down at aswan. we had a super Thomas Cook holiday on MS Terramar and can only speak from our experience, temp on the cruise down midway in high 20s Aswan must have been 30 degrees

Lausanne...
reviews: 21
6. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Hi. Everyone else has made very sensible suggestions. I would like to add that, as a woman particularly, it will probably make you feel more comfortable if, when on excursions, you dress so you fit in more with the local population - in other words, try to dress so you don't stand out as a western tourist too much - long plain skirt would be good and tops with long sleeves, not too bright. Make sure you don't have loads of flesh on show and you will attract less attention from passers by and the street vendors. Check out anileadventure.eu. On the boat, smart casual was the order of day for evening meals and more or less anything was acceptable for general on-board relaxing. I hope you have a wonderful time!

North Lincolnshire
reviews: 3
7. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Just back from a 1 week cruise, (hi Alicia!) agree with everything said - but one word of caution - on the way back when you go through Esna lock, just remember the boat level drops and you will be more than visible to the louts around there trying to sell rubbish. If you are on deck in your swimsuit, cover up quickly, otherwise you will get a lot of VERY rude comments! This was the only place with horrible louts around - everywhere else was fine.

North Lincolnshire
reviews: 3
8. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Also meant to say, if you do the trip to Abu Simbel by coach, you arrive there very early, and it is cold there first thing. Take a fleece or a cardigan, as the wind blows in off Lake Nassar, and until the sun gets up and warms everything up, if you are only wearing a short sleeved shirt, you will be shivering!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 13
9. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

Just got back from there 12.1.13 i would advise you to bring some warm clothes as it doeas get a bit cold. However it was getting warmer when we left but it still get's cold of a night. Be careful as the drinks a very expensive nearly £5 for a short so if you like a dring it might be worth your while to upgrade which is £15 pp per day £30 a couple or better still get some duty free when at the airport it'll save you a forune.

10. Re: Nile cruise 25 Feb from Luxor - what do we need to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 18, 2014