We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Hat-Shep-Sut Cahpel To Open At Karnak Open Air Museum

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
18 reviews
Second Hat-Shep-Sut Cahpel To Open At Karnak Open Air Museum

Good news for those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to visit Egypt, and Luxor in particular, at the moment.

It has been announced in today's edition of Al Ahram Online that the Limestone Chapel of Hat-shep-sut is to open to visitors, as one of the displays of the Open Air Museum, within the Karknak Enclosure of Amun-Ra, by the end of February 2013.

The blocks of which have been in storage/display on mastabas (benches), located on the left of the Open Air Museum as one enters, were recovered from within later monuments and the building itself has been reconstructed as part of the ongoing efforts of the Centre Franco-Egyptian D'Etude des Temples de Karnak (CFEETK), that have also lead to the reconstruction of this Dynasty XVIII Queen's, quartzite, Red Chapel (Chapelle Rouge), also within the Open Air Museum.

Having had the opportunity to view many of the relief blocks, over the years they were in storage, it must be said that they are amongst the finest, early Dynasty XVIII examples of such work that one is liekly to encounter anywhere in Egypt.

Although entailing an additional entrance fee, of LE 25 (some reports still state this to be LE 20), this little visited extension of the Temple of Amun-Ra, features some marvellous structures; such as alabaster barque shrines of Amun-hetep I and Tuth-moses I, the Portico of Thoth-moses IV (lots of original colour remains on this, as his son Amun-hetep III demolished it so he could erect Pylon III) and the beautiful, Dynasty XII, White Chapel of Sen-usret I, making it well worth the diversion from the normal route through temple ruins.

The Al Ahram Online article, announcing the opening and complete with photos, can be found here:

(NB. For those seeking more information on site itself, TA member reviews for the Open Air Museum can be sound here :

together with some great photos, many by one of our Destination Expert, for Luxor, eLaRef.)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Second Hat-Shep-Sut Cahpel To Open At Karnak Open Air Museum

Thanks for the comments re my pix

I reckon the Outdoor museum is one of the best places there - with the advantage that most of the major tour bus parties go straight past it, so it stays as a peaceful place to wander at leisure.

The '4th' chapel was under re-construction during my last visit and is presumably this one. Looks like I need to go back!

My photos have been moved due to Webshots closure and the ones of here are now at:-

2. Re: Second Hat-Shep-Sut Cahpel To Open At Karnak Open Air Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 14, 2014