We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luxor in may ?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hampshire
reviews: 3
luxor in may ?

too be honest im a little scared with all the news and mixed reviews im not due to go till may however its just me and my little boy whos 6 i cant get my flights refunded from easyjet and ive seen some people on here saying that the fco website lists luxor as a place not too travel too however when ive looked on fco i cant see where it states this any help or advice please

wendy

Luxor, Egypt
reviews: 24
21. Re: luxor in may ?

Also, whilst we're on the subject, is it "official" that there aren't as many? Just because we don't notice them, does that necessarily mean that they aren't knocking about, or might they just be out of obvious view?

Regards,

Edward.

Loughborough...
22. Re: luxor in may ?

You live there Edward so i guess you are best placed to say. One thing is for sure, this out of view policy if it exists only appears to have been in effect post revolution.

Curious that.

England, United...
reviews: 39
23. Re: luxor in may ?

Hmmm ...there have always been many 'hidden' or plain clothes policemen in Luxor as far as I'm aware - certainly pre and I believe post 'revolution'. My earlier comment regarding police was in regard to 'visable' or uniformed police - including traffic police and tourist police.

I admit my stay visit was relatively short but I noticed a difference in the areas I visit regularly compared to my visit in April 2012. I also take into account the fact that even the uniformed police look less visable in their winter uniform of black as opposed to their summer uniform of white!

Loughborough...
24. Re: luxor in may ?

Its fair to say that at this time many people appear to be reluctant to visit out of safety concerns,real or otherwise. Im sure the authorities must know this so its very strange that if the numbers are still there that they should make themselves scarce, i would imagine that to be the direct opposite of making concerned visitors feel reassured.

Luxor, Egypt
25. Re: luxor in may ?

"If it exists", indeed! We're all in the dark there, as far as I can see. But as you're fully aware, Julian, many things have had to change since the revolution.

The Police pick-up trucks parked at the top of Gold Street (also new since the revolution) have men wearing khaki uniforms in them, are they then soldiers? Have they commandeered the pick-up's from an under-manned police force? Who knows?

With the lovely little Wendy Houses replacing those uncomfortable old guard posts, we might yet get to see more policemen in them.

Here's hoping,

Edward.

hampshire
reviews: 3
26. Re: luxor in may ?

I for one would feel safer if I saw uniformed officers I have no intention of leaving the hotel at night time anyway with a 6 year old child but then I wouldn't be wandering around the streets with a child at night where ever I was

England, United...
reviews: 39
27. Re: luxor in may ?

Wendy, depending on what you consider night time you may want to reconsider. By May the temperatures will be rising and, depending on your plan for the day, it is usually a good idea to get out and about fairly early, take a rest in the heat of the day and then go out and about to eat, shop. people watch in the evening. Up until 11pm (or even later) you will see many Egyptian families out and about in the streets and on the plaza near Luxor Temple. It is probably the busiest time of day from the point of view of people being around and not at all like the UK when you could feel more vulnerable.

Luxor, Egypt
28. Re: luxor in may ?

" i would imagine that to be the direct opposite of making concerned visitors feel reassured."

You never know, Julian. I've spoken to many tourists who've been frightened out of their wits at the sight of all the armed police on the streets and elsewhere. I certainly wasn't too impressed with it myself, on our first visit.

It's all down to peoples perceptions isn't it? Some imagine that there must be a pressing reason for so many people to be carrying guns, the thought of which makes them feel doubly uneasy. Whereas, I believe that the official line used to be that the sight of so many firearms in the hands of the forces of law and order, would make the tourists feel much safer, because the government was taking their safety seriously.

Seeing as they are all armed (aren't they?) I suppose that they're 'Damned if they do and damned if they don't' (appear, that is) or so it seems.

Regards,

Edward.

Loughborough...
29. Re: luxor in may ?

You are correct Edward in that some will be relieved, others more worried. Having said that, the majority of posts seem to suggest its more a negative thing than a positive one.

Who knows, perhaps those that are reassured just don't post?

London, England
30. Re: luxor in may ?

For whatever it is worth, I have now taken two after midnight strolls back to the hotel and through the ‘mean streets’ of south Luxor. Apart from one hapless-looking recruit outside the courthouse, there was not a policeman to be seen. I didn’t feel threatened or at all at risk but neither did ‘Little Britain’s’ late night/early morning street life seem quite as benign as before.