We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, England
reviews: 92
Trip report

Well, I'm back safe and well, but suffering withdrawal symptoms already!!

I started off by staying on the West Bank in the El Mesala hotel. It was far better than I expected and I had a lovely stay there. I travelled around using the service buses and the public ferry. This was a good way to meet people and I had some very interesting conversations!

I had no problems being alone, everyone on the WB was very kind and helpful and a couple of times they even refused to take my fare on the buses!

The WB is very relaxing compared to the hustle and bustle of Luxor and I was never worried even when walking down dusty village roads by myself.

I then went to Cairo and stayed overnight, visiting Dashur and Saqqara on day 1 then Giza on day 2.

I had a brilliant guide who collected me at the airport and took me out to Dashur first. I went inside three pyramids, which half killed me due to having to grip onto the handrails! I had a truly wonderful day and looking back I can't believe how much I saw, the Serapeum, the tombs of Mereruka, Kagemeni, Ptahotep and Akethotep, the Step, Bent, Red and Teti pyramids, then inside Khafre's and the tomb of Meresankh, finishing off with the Sphinx.

The only trouble I saw was on the approach to the Mena House hotel. As we drove to the gate a group of men were in the middle of the road and they stopped the car. They began banging on it and shouting. The guide told me that they were illegal camel drivers who wanted people to ride their camels! I know then that I'd made the right decision to have the guide for the next day at Giza, even though the pyramids are on the doorstep. The hassle there is bad. The hotel was lovely and I did the tour of the Montgomery and Churchill which was directly opposite the Great Pyramid!

I returned to Luxor and the WB, where it is so peaceful compared to EB, I then got a last minute cruise down to Aswan. This was really good as it was only for three nights. The boat was full of Egyptian families and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I was a bit of a novelty as all the children were wanting to practice their English on me! It got a bit surreal when I guided a family around Philae - a place they'd never visited!

Aswan was, as usual, lovely, and people actually stopped me to welcome and thank me for visiting Egypt. They all asked what the outside world thought about what was happening in their country. I visited the the WB tombs again and watched the sun go down from the terrace of the Old Cataract hotel. They even gave me a tour of the Agatha Christie suite, amazing!

I returned back to Luxor, staying at the Sonesta. I noticed that the state of the horses was much improved and they were being fed as well. The hassle was, at first, what I had expected. However, on the Monday and Tuesday after the anniversary of the revolution it suddenly changed. A number of ladies were discussing in the hotel about sexual harassment and then I actually experienced it myself and it was nasty too. I spoke to a lady who was extremely distressed as lads on a motorbike had snatched her camera from her hand. She visits regularly three or four times a year but I doubt that she will be back, as she was shaking even recounting her story.

I finished my trip on my last morning by visiting the Winter Palace for a drink so that I had succeeded in my personal challenge of visiting all three of the old hotels in Egypt.

Despite these incidents I really enjoyed my trip, which was more like an adventure as I got to see so many places. I am already planning my next trip (in my head!), hoping that the situation doesn't deteriorate any further.

I met some wonderful people and have amazing memories of a brilliant trip so many thanks to all who gave me recommendations, they were absolutely spot on!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
reviews: 127
21. Re: Trip report

Rowz

Getting back to the subject of your trip report, Mrs eLaReF has now read your detailed reviews.

She will keep an eye out for any more since we are back to the early stages of planning our own next trip.

Lancashire, England
22. Re: Trip report

What more does she want to know?

I'd be more than happy to elaborate on anything, I just wouldn't want to bore people with my ramblings, as I can talk about this trip forever!! LOL

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
23. Re: Trip report

I'll get her to PM you nearer the time

Thks

NE UK
reviews: 14
24. Re: Trip report

Gret trip report - just wondered if you have any photo's to share?

Lancashire, England
25. Re: Trip report

I'm in the process of uploading some to Photobucket. I presume you don't want to see all 1900?? LOL

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
26. Re: Trip report

1900? Was that the 1st day?

Mine are getting re-uploaded slowly to Flickr now that Webshots has shut down

www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/collections/

Do you have a similar link for Photobucket? We could all watch as you add them.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
reviews: 86
27. Re: Trip report

>>>>>>>>> I presume you don't want to see all 1900?? LOL <<<<<<<<<<

I do!

It's the only cure that I know for my advanced Luxoritis at the moment.

Lancashire, England
28. Re: Trip report

I wouldn't wish them ALL upon you!!!

I got a new digital SLR for this trip, mainly to redo my hieroglyph photos. It is amazing, especially when I zoom in as none of the quality is lost. I took so many because I knew I could delete the dodgy ones but there weren't that many.

I took 1689 with that one and the rest were with my iPhone so I could put them on Photostream for my son.

He was so envious of me repeating our 2006 trip that I even had to do Facetime with him so that he could see Luxor Temple by night from the El Mesala rooftop.

He was NOT a happy bunny!! LOL

Chester Cheshire UK
29. Re: Trip report

Take not a tiny bit of notice Cityboy65 regards the negative comments made simply because your main aim was to let people know how safe it is, and how worth while it is to go to Luxor and take a cruise.It is truly heart warming to see that pedantry is alive and well.

London, United...
reviews: 34
30. Re: Trip report

Great to read of your trip Rowz. Even with some harrasment issues it sounds to me that you had a more comfortable time than last time. I've only just got back myself but will be looking at your reviews when I get time in preparation for my next visit. I did manage to eat at the El Mesala - a very tasty chicken tagine - and had intended to ask to look at the rooms but forgot as I didn't have long there.