We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dendera Temple

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
reviews: 15
Dendera Temple

Hi

What is the best way to get to Dendera Temple from Luxor and does anyone know the cost of this please?

London, England
reviews: 24
11. Re: Dendera Temple

A current sample of three Luxor tour companies shows initial asking prices for the Dendera cruise of LE 440, LE 450 and LE 550 but I’m sure there is scope for bargaining. When I first took the cruise, I paid LE 320 and didn’t get back to Luxor until around 20:30. I enjoyed the trip out but the return journey was longer (sailing against the Nile’s current) and very boring. The lunch was pretty good but I gather cost cutting has made it rather more basic. The drinks were at Iberotel prices.

UK
reviews: 3
12. Re: Dendera Temple

If going by road, get a taxi on the West Bank (or an East Bank taxi willing to go via the bridge) and take the West Bank desert road to Dendera.

It's a much faster route as it's more direct and there are virtually no speed bumps. You will be there in well under an hour.

The scenery is much more pleasant too, with the Western hills as a backdrop.

Apparently the official stance is that tour companies cannot use this road, but there are no checkpoints whatsoever so there is nothing to stop a regular taxi driver using it. In fact, last month I went through a police roadblock on the return to Luxor and they didn't take a blind bit of notice. According to the driver, they were only interested in stopping and searching the locals.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 34
13. Re: Dendera Temple

We went on the cruise.

A long day but worth it, was lovely watching everyday life going on at the banks.

Good food aswell always a bonus :-)

Blackpool, United...
reviews: 7
14. Re: Dendera Temple

we did the cruise as well

yes its a long day but wonderfully relaxing as well and the food was excellent on board .

and we where treated to a lightning storm over the desert on the way home spectacular lol

Germany
reviews: 35
15. Re: Dendera Temple

Should you consider going by taxi - then go to Abydos first.

It is a long day, but worth it.

I went on the desert route on the West Bank last year using a local taxi driver at the cost of 500 LE.

You won´t get a guide, just a driver.

Exhall, United...
reviews: 1
16. Re: Dendera Temple

To Expensive indiGermany. I have done this (not via the WB route) and paid 300le for the day (taxi only).

Germany
reviews: 35
17. Re: Dendera Temple

Hi StunningSu

This was my first trip to Luxor - and as a good German with no haggling experience I was cheated only twice (to my knowledge !)

But I could not have done this holiday on my own without the information from this forum.

Exhall, United...
reviews: 1
18. Re: Dendera Temple

@ indiGermany, my comment was not a criticism, but a comment on the fact you can do this trip cheaper than than 500le.

If you were cheated only twice on your 1st trip, then that is fantastic. I would however say I suspect you were cheated MORE than twice, but didn't realise it LOL.

I am glad the forum helped with your holiday.

yorkshire
reviews: 15
19. Re: Dendera Temple

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

We went by taxi to Abydos and Dendara and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was a shame there were only 4 people visiting Abydos and 5 at Dendara.

Olly

20. Re: Dendera Temple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 16, 2014