We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains - luxor to aswan

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 38
trains - luxor to aswan

Hi

Please can anyone tell me if we can buy advance tickets for the train from Luxor to Aswan and what times they run?

Thanks!

UK
reviews: 3
1. Re: trains - luxor to aswan

You can check the schedule and fares for the express trains at enr.gov.eg.

You can't buy tickets online but you can buy them in advance at the railway station.

NE UK
reviews: 17
2. Re: trains - luxor to aswan

Hi - First of all, the timetable is a bit erratic at present and sometimes you won't know til your time of travel. Second, the ticket kiosk doesn't always sell tickets in advance of travel.

However, it's acceptable to buy your ticket on the train, there are usually plenty of seats available for this journey. I travelled Luxor to Aswan in December 2012, leaving Luxor at 7.50am arriving Aswan 11.10am. It was an interesting and very cheap journey. The seats are very comfortable, though the train itself was dirty. The staff are generally helpful for some small baksheesh. Take tissues and wipes in case you need to use the toilet.

England, United...
reviews: 39
3. Re: trains - luxor to aswan

I don't know how far in advance you are thinking about, but trains between Cairo and Aswan were stopped from running yesterday. I don't know if they are running again today.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/63706.aspx

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
reviews: 11
4. Re: trains - luxor to aswan

Apparently, they started running again shortly before midnight, according to this source:

…ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/63712/Egypt/P…

Apparently, the whole stoppage of service was due to a protest, by 10 residents of the Ard El Lewa district of Giza, over upgrading safety features of the level crossing where they blocked the line.

England, United...
reviews: 39
5. Re: trains - luxor to aswan

Thanks GParry - I hadn't seen an update but thought it better to be forewarned.

6. Re: trains - luxor to aswan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 02, 2014