We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 24
Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

While on our Nile cruise we're planning to book the extra excursion to Abu Simbel and understand we have the option of flying or going by coach.

We've heard varying reports. Some friends have told us that coach travel was preferable as so much time was wasted at the airport that they didn't get very long at Abu Simbel. Others said that they flew and got far longer at the site.

In view of so much conflicting advice we're now wondering whether it'll be worth paying the extra to fly, as we were originally intending to do as it saves a 3 hour road journey each way.

I suppose it all depends on whether the flight is delayed for some reason but any further advice would be appreciated.

London, United...
reviews: 24
11. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

Thanks to everyone for your advice. In view of your remarks, we'll definitely be taking the coach option.

reviews: 47
12. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

This is a how long is a piece of string question (no disrespect) Yes the coach is a 3:00am against a 4:00ma start BUT once you are on the coach you can go back to sleep. I personally found the time allowed at Abu Simbel by coach plenty ( actually I hired a private car but that's another story). The view of the sun rising over the Eastern Desert is breathtaking. On our boat the coach people got back well over an hour before the plane people. Chaque un a son gout (or every one to their own taste for non French speakers) as they say in France

London, United...
reviews: 1
13. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

I think this thread appears to have answered some questions I've previously asked so just checking that our plan is OK ?

We've been to Luxor for a week in December but did it 'in our own time' so need to go back for another 2 or 3 days to see some more. Want to see Abu Simbel so thinking to spend a couple of days in Aswan then coach to Abu Simbel (def won't fly after reading this thread !). Back to Aswan for the night then return to Luxor. Just looking for advice as to how long we should stay in Aswan in terms of how much is there to see ? 2 days worth + 1 day relaxing ?

Bedfordshire
Destination Expert
for Luxor
reviews: 20
14. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

Hi Boyo45

When I did it, I went for a long weekend, went early Friday, went to Abu Simbel on the Saturday and back to Luxor on the Monday. But if you are organizing it yourself you cannot get a coach. It is usually the big tour companies who arrange the trip for the tourist on the cruise boat that use the coaches. So if you arrange the trip yourself you will have to arrange a taxi or minibus. Which will be just for you.

Phil

New York City, New...
15. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

I'm pretty surprised by the responses here. I've read that the coach is not very safe and personally just booked the flight instead. There have been a number of coach accidents:

https://www.google.com/search?q=abu+simbel+accidents&aq=f&oq=abu+simbel+accidents&aqs=chrome.0.57j60j59l2j62l2.1774&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

dailymail.co.uk/news/…axzz2JmtzWYHL

Apparently it's normal to drive very fast and without lights. I don't really care much about which gives a slightly better/worse experience, only about the safety, and seems like the plane is much safer, despite the 1 incident reported here.

Loughborough...
16. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

Coaches and planes, unfortunately crash all over the world. Ive done this trip via coach and didnt experiance any of whats mentioned in post 36. The traffic is very light. Despite the accidents reported ive never read or heard of this trip being especially dangerous and if it were the major tour companies would not run a coach service there.

London, United...
17. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

Thanks all. So looks like we take out lives in our hands either way !

Loughborough...
18. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

Boyo45, there are no gurantees in life but i think "taking life in our hands" is probably over the top. As i said, if it was especially problematic from a safety point of view no tour companies would schedule trips there.

London, United...
19. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

Julian, it was tongue in cheek.

20. Re: Plane or coach to Abu Simbel - which is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 05, 2014