We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barrow-in-Furness...
reviews: 2
MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Hi All, Hoping someone can help.

I have booked to go on a Nile Cruise and have been told that we will be flying into Luxor and then going to the port to go to the ship. Having paid nearly £1800 for this trip I was expecting some trips thrown in - not all - but have been told in these groups that no trips are included whatsoever (Dont know if ayone can say any different?). Rather than shell out £45 each for a trip to the Valley of the Kings it was suggested that I get off the boat and make my own way there - How realistic is it for me to do this? How far is the Valley of the Kings from the Port? I have spent the last few days searching for Taxi prices but they are all from the centre of Luxor and certain hotels - Never been to Egypt so dont even know how far the port is from the centre of Luxor.

Plus - and I know this is going to sound really stupid - Do you have to pay to get into see certain areas of the Valley or is it all open?

I would really appreciate it if anyone had advice, directions etc for being able to do the sightseeing by ourselves. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Shaun and Steph

Bristol, United...
reviews: 3
11. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Just retuned from this cruise booked to go on the Orchid but put on the jasmine Only 16 of us for the first 3days not a bother to us but this boat is not an exclusive Thomson/first choice boat so we had a local wedding party with a small child join us and several other's all Great people and good Company!

trips with 1st choice and thomson are NOT in the Price ! The printed price in the Uk is £150 not including abul simbal which is £199 p p.

We did all our own trips taxi to valley of the kings /Queens/ Karnak and a couple of other places was a mere £15.00 wait and return .Aticket to 3 tombs bought at the 1st gate to the valley is £8 pp then a £2 train ride to the second gate where you may buy tickets to other tombs such as king tut £10 Very small but he is in there! when you get to Aswan we hired a small sail boat to the tombs of the Nobles and missed the opening times so took a Camel ride into the desert Wow so Glad the whole thing was £30 for us both and we had a sunset on camle back with sa return over the Nile in the Moonlight I could go on and on So here I will stop if you would like to hear more domitrukpaul@hotmail.com or 01275790776 Bristol

Paul

Barrow-in-Furness...
12. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

I have checked with First Choice and no excursions are included. Fully expecting that so we are going it alone. Probably more exciting anyways!

thanks for the advice everyone - just going to wing it and use all that you have given us.

4 weeks to go and cant wait!

Shaun and Steph

Chadderton
13. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Hi Steph

When are you going. We are going on the Orchid on March 13th for the 7 days cruise and then a weeks stay in Luxor. Not our first time in Egypt but our first time on the Nile. It does appear that you should have all the trips thrown in for the price you have paid

Chadderton
14. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Hi Steph

You sent your last post just before mine. You will be back when we go so if you can will you report back on TA . H ave a great time.

Edited: 5:15 am, January 31, 2013
Swindon, United...
reviews: 6
15. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

My wife and I did this trip in Sept 2011. The Orchid is based approx 4 miles from city centre and the main crossing point to west bank, which in its self is about 2 miles from valley of kings/queens. All our trips were optional and were paid for on board which cost about £200 each inc abu simbel.Prices may have change since then.We then stayed a further week at the Iberotel hotel in the centre of Luxor for a further week. Boat and hotel were all inclusive the holiday and all trips that we went on inc a Balloon flight cost us £2000.With regards to the trips from the boat you get an egyptologist guide which you won't get if you do it your self,we believe it was worth the little extra cost.

Swindon, United...
reviews: 6
16. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Sorry forgot to mention if you are doing your own thing you will be harrased constantly by the locals. they currently because of the unrest seem to get into many of the Tomb areas in the valley of the kings.Travelling in large groups seems to cut down how often you get approached. Worst area is valley of kings others are luxor temple and karnak temple. Enjoy we loved it lie back and sail away.well it is a boat trip.

Barrow-in-Furness...
17. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Yes of course =) Not long until we go now. Im so excited!

Edited: 4:05 am, February 11, 2013
Barrow-in-Furness...
18. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Slightly worried about being approached alot. Hope it all goes ok!

Barrow-in-Furness...
19. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Sorry for the long delay getting back to you. How did you find it? I loved the trips and was really glad I booked them all on the first night. Food got very samey but was nice. It was a real struggle to get anything to eat inbetween meals. Going off the boat wasnt really an option. I found the whole area very "unsafe". Its dificult to explain the hassle you get but I found it very uncomfortable and scary. We were hassled EVERYWHERE! The one time we decided to go off the boat without a guide into Aswan market one of our group had a run in with an attempted pick pocket. If it wasnt for another member of the group seeing this happen he would have been. You will struggle to buy anything with out atleast a 15 minute argument, and having change and low amounts of Egyption pounds was a real problem. I loved the Temples and the Nile but would not return. I feel there was nothing youcould explore alone unless your a well travelled person. I am not as I found out! real culture shock for me!.

20. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 15, 2014