We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barrow-in-Furness...
reviews: 2
MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Hi All, Hoping someone can help.

I have booked to go on a Nile Cruise and have been told that we will be flying into Luxor and then going to the port to go to the ship. Having paid nearly £1800 for this trip I was expecting some trips thrown in - not all - but have been told in these groups that no trips are included whatsoever (Dont know if ayone can say any different?). Rather than shell out £45 each for a trip to the Valley of the Kings it was suggested that I get off the boat and make my own way there - How realistic is it for me to do this? How far is the Valley of the Kings from the Port? I have spent the last few days searching for Taxi prices but they are all from the centre of Luxor and certain hotels - Never been to Egypt so dont even know how far the port is from the centre of Luxor.

Plus - and I know this is going to sound really stupid - Do you have to pay to get into see certain areas of the Valley or is it all open?

I would really appreciate it if anyone had advice, directions etc for being able to do the sightseeing by ourselves. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Shaun and Steph

London, United...
1. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

There isn't a 'port' in Luxor as it is on the Nile and the cruise boats just moor up along the river.

It is very easy and much cheaper to book excursions by yourself, especially in Luxor, but you seem to have paid a very high price for your Nile cruise for no excursions to be included, so I would make sure that IS the case.

As far as booking a trip to the Kings Valley is concerned, you could either just go into one of the many local tour operators in Luxor and haggle for the trip (a guide price will probably be displayed on a board outside) or every taxi driver and his dog will be offering to take you there as you walk down the street.

For a taxi from the eastbank across to the westbank, visiting a few of the sites there over a few hours, you should pay from 80 - 100LE (for the taxi, NOT pp and this would include any waiting times)

You would then have to pay your own admission fees into any of the sites you visit, with the VoKs costing 80LEpp admission.

kent
reviews: 20
2. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Hi we have also booked a Nile cruise for 7 days on our holiday we booked through holiday place and got 10 excursions thrown in but a taxi would be about £20 be better if you could get one that will wait for you

Barrow-in-Furness...
3. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Thanks for the advice - especially on the admissions! Dont feel as daft asking the question now!!! Cant believe the prices of the taxis - think you'd probably get a 3 mile journey and a 15 min wait in the UK for £20!!!!

I tried asking the operator we booked through about the trips and they werent sure. When I read the weeks itinery it reads as though the 1st days trip is included and every day after that is optional but I will have to find out as I am not sure.

London, United...
4. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

An afternoon visiting sites on the westbank should only cost you 100LE (about £10 (GB) max, but you WILL have to haggle, but you should haggle for everything in Egypt, as the price you are first quoted could be up to 10 times the price you will end up paying.

For £20 (GB) - about 200LE (Egyptian pounds) you could hire a taxi to take you to sites all over the westbank AND all over the eastbank for a whole day.

Loughborough...
5. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Steph, Im amazed that the company you booked through "arnt sure" about whats included and whats not. As KV said you have paid an incredible price for your cruise and id be amazed if you dont have the trips thrown in. When it says "optional" it may well mean that its up to you if you go or not rather than referring to the cost. One difficulty with arranging trips yourself on a boat is that you need to make sure you get back before the boat leaves. To be honest, given the price you have paid id expect to be carried everywhere Cleopatra style!

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 4
6. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

I should imagine for that amount of money your trips would be included! Really suprised that the holiday operator doesn't know - they should do or they should find out for you.

Hayling Island...
reviews: 1
7. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

I posted this on the wrong topic but..

I've got the Thomson brochure and it states you have all the normal trips included in the price. Valley of the Kings, Hatchepsut, Memnon, Karnak, Luxor, Nubian Museum, Aswan Dam, Philae Temple and Dendersh Temple.

Barrow-in-Furness...
8. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Yeah I've got first choices and its just says about day 1's trips and then everything is listed as optional excursions for the next 6 days. I have then read kiltmans review and he lists all the prices etc. I booked through co-operative travel and the rep was vague. The £1800 is for 2, all inclusive with a junior suite. I've been told that is reasonable and due to the upgrades etc I shouldn't expect the trips thrown in. I'm just thinking that doing the trips ourselves would be better anyways as we dont like being shepherded around and like to explore. If the trips aren't thrown in its not the end of the world. Appreciate all the advice though! Especially the prices. Stops me being ripped off!

Loughborough...
9. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

Steph, just to give you an idea of the price you have paid, i have recentely been quoted and am about to book the following for two people: 3 nights b&b in cairo at a good hotel, 7 day cruise all inclusiove with all standard trips included, and finally 10 days in Luxor b&b for around what you been quoted. My price also includes insurance and is on scheduled flights which means free meals and a much more generous lluggae allowance. No doubt there are many on here who could quote you even better deals. A sales person is bound to tell you what you should and should not expect, doesnt make them right. If i were you i would surf the web and you have no difficulty in finding a better deal that includes trips. I would then go back and see if you could renegotiate.

Edited: 5:38 pm, January 27, 2013
Barrow-in-Furness...
10. Re: MS Orchid with First Choice -7 day cruise- Need some advice

I think I need to speak to first choice! They're the only ones who will confirm it. Haven't been able to get through to them over the weekend so I'll try through the week and see how I fare

Edited: 2:54 am, January 28, 2013