We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on a Nile Cruise.

Can someone tell me the name of the area / tombs you see on the West Bank of the Nile when sailing near Kom Ombo / Aswan.

There are a few that look possibly Greco Roman tombs and others that look mid - late dynasty tombs.

Some of them look accesible by felluca / row boat as theyare right on the edge of the water. Others are higher up on dry land.

Thanks in advance.

UK
reviews: 3
1. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Gebel el-Silsila ? They're mostly New Kingdom shrines, I don't think there's anything Greco-Roman there.

London, United...
2. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Amongst the tombs at Gebel El Silsila there is also the funerary temple of the 18th Dynasty Pharoah Horemheb, whose tomb is in the Valley of the Kings (KV57) and who became Pharoah a few years after Tutankhamun (around 1300BC) so is well before the Greco-Roman period itself, although Greco-Roman influence can be found at many sites and temples that are a lot earlier as many were 'reworked' during the Greco-Roman period.

UK/Luxor
reviews: 1
3. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Gebel El Silsila is the site of the ancient rock quarries, where the sandstone used to build the great temples in Luxor was quarried.

There are a number of shrines and small chapels which can be clearly seen close to the river, the main one being the Speos of Horemheb.

http://www.touregypt.net/speoshoremheb.htm

London, United...
4. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

GrayandCarrie,

Just to add, you can visit the tombs and shrines there with a guide and by getting a motorboat across to them.

I have many photos myself from being there, but none that are web accessible, but I am sure that my fellow DE eLaReF will be along shortly (as soon as he reads your post) with a link to view his web stored photos of his visits there.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
reviews: 11
5. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Whilst never having managed to actually get there by land, here are some photos, from the river, to be going on with until eLaReF gets here:

s615.beta.photobucket.com/upload… es Silsila

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
reviews: 11
6. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Try that link again, sorry,

…photobucket.com/user/…

Essex
7. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
reviews: 137
8. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

I'm here!

(OK - I'm in Scotland - On Crutches!!)

See flickr.com/photos/… - there is a Gibel el Silsila folder there amongst all the rest

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
reviews: 137
9. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

And just to prove that I've not got my head together yet - I forgot this page which might be useful as well

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-c186126/Lux…

P.S. - this was 2nd my replacement knee so I knew what to expect - Doesn't stop it hurting like h*ll (Or words to that effect that TA wont let me use!) though!!

Guernsey, Channel...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Tombs on the West Bank sailing south on Nile Cruise

Every sympathy with your knee pain eLaRef and hope you will soon be crutchless - I am also on two sticks, having broken a leg, putting paid to my planned trip back to Luxor in February.

Best wishes