We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Egypt

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
warrington, uk
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
First visit to Egypt

Hello, we have booked a week in feb at the maritim Jolie which after reading the reviews I am looking forward too. Just a few question if anyone has some time to answer.

What is the best thing to do about currency? Should I get some currency in the uk? Is it worth getting a prepay card?

What is the rough cost of wine, beer etc.

Any suggestion of somewhere reasonable to eat not too far from the hotel?

I would like to visit the karnack Temple what is the best way to do that?

Many Thanks

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
11. Re: First visit to Egypt

Appart from the fact that the cafes with the signs 'resturant' above them give you server food poisioning on many occassions! Really really would not recommend!

And appolgies for the spelling of the beer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
12. Re: First visit to Egypt

beckie20,

The 'cafe' or 'restaurant' label on signs etc. should not be taken too literally in Egypt and tends to be a mis-translation thing.

Just because there is a sign outside somewhere in Egypt, doesn't mean that's what it is.

If you go down to the Little Britain area (where the restaurants you list are) you will find a shop where the sign outside tells you that it is Asdas - but it isn't really !

I'm not sure what 'server' food poisoning is, but think you have made a very sweeping statement by implying that everyone will get food poisoning at every restaurant or cafe in the Souk area.

You may personally not recommend these places and of course that is your perogative, but in over 40 visits to Luxor, over many years, I have eaten many times in many of the eateries in the Souk and in all of the other places you mention and have not contracted food poisoning from any of them.

I am not saying that it is not possible for this to happen and indeed there may be some that have (or think they have) but it is by no means almost 'guaranteed' to be the case, as you seem to imply.

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
859 posts
13. Re: First visit to Egypt

Whilst beckie20 has posted some interesting points, I have to agree with KV Explorer with regard to eating establishments in the souk. I have eaten on more than one occasion in places in the souk and NEVER had any issues of a bad stomach variety. It is wrong to suggest that every eating place will give you the trotts or worse.

The issue of the taxi on the WB is a good one. I would however suggest that you get a taxi for the whole of your WB trip, NOT get a taxi to take you to the VKs, then get another to take you to say Haps Temple, then say another toMedinet Habu, then another back to the ferry point. This could very well leave you paying MORE then negotiating for the same taxi and driver to take you from site to site.

The beer as Mr Explorer says is Stella (Egyptian) and in restaurants and bars OUTSIDE hotels will cost you anything from 10le to 20le (however they are looking to increase the prices shortly I understand) and in hotels it will cost around 30le OR MORE. The other beer is Sakara, again the price for this is similar to Stella (but in my opinion is NOT as good).

Look at this web site for more info:

www.luxortraveltips.com

also take a look here as well, this may give you some ideas.

http://en.egypt.travel/city/index/luxor

Edited: 1:40 pm, January 08, 2013
14. Re: First visit to Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 11, 2013
Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
9 reviews
15. Re: First visit to Egypt

This is a list of Tourist restaurants:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-c164976/Lux…

R

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
66 reviews
16. Re: First visit to Egypt

I agree with KV, I too have eaten in the Souks, I have drank egyptian tea made with boiled nile water, I have eaten wonderful feasts with families on the West Bank. In over 30years experience have been fine. I did however contract salmonella from a private hospital in the UK! I am not sure what 'server' food poisoning is!. StunningStu is right, negotiate with a local taxi driver for all your trips, you will find these guys loyal and reliable and very knowledgeable. Above all have a wonderful time.

17. Re: First visit to Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 04, 2014