We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Egypt

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
warrington, uk
reviews: 2
First visit to Egypt

Hello, we have booked a week in feb at the maritim Jolie which after reading the reviews I am looking forward too. Just a few question if anyone has some time to answer.

What is the best thing to do about currency? Should I get some currency in the uk? Is it worth getting a prepay card?

What is the rough cost of wine, beer etc.

Any suggestion of somewhere reasonable to eat not too far from the hotel?

I would like to visit the karnack Temple what is the best way to do that?

Many Thanks

Luxor, Egypt
reviews: 24
1. Re: First visit to Egypt

Changing your currency (cash) in Egypt will get you about 10% more Egyptian. Have a look at the 'Top Questions' on the right of this page for some good info.

Sorry, but I cannot help with drinks prices, other than tea and bottled water, lol.

Whilst the JV is lovely with great pools, it is out of town, maybe 3 or 4 km from Little Britain where the popular tourist restaurants are.

There are many ways to visit Karnak, it depends how tight you are! Although it's easy to look around by yourself, some people prefer to have a fully guided tour from one of the local travel agents. (Even this choice wouldn't break the bank.) Whichever you choose, don't miss it. I love the Sound and Light show too, but some people are quite dismissive of it, each to his own, eh?

Don't forget that the evenings might still be a little chilly if you're sitting about, but overall; February is a great time for a first visit.

Best wishes,

Edward.

London, England
reviews: 24
2. Re: First visit to Egypt

Aa just said, change your sterling for Egyptian Pounds sin Egypt where the exchange rate is more in your favour. (Don’t tip with £1 coins as the locals cannot easily change them.) Wine is relatively expensive and IMO not terribly good for what it costs. The beer is good but varies from roughly £1 per large bottle in a couple of Luxor’s local bars to about £2, £3 or even £4 per small bottle/can in the restaurants, hotels and cruise ships.

Edited: 5:04 pm, January 03, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
reviews: 114
3. Re: First visit to Egypt

I would also advise that you read through our top questions which can be found written in blue down the right hand side of this forum page - there is just so much information there to help you. I know it's maybe a daunting task, but very much worth taking the time to read lots of those topics, some of which can be printed off to take with you.

This is a link to my own tops tips which may also help

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19636-My_Top…

Like BBeckett, I don't like the wine at all, but I do enjoy one or two beers - in fact mixed with lemonade it makes a nice refreshing shandy. As has been said, exchange your money when you get there - make sure all your notes are in good condition though or you may find the teller will refuse to exchange them.

4. Re: First visit to Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, January 04, 2013
warrington, uk
reviews: 2
5. Re: First visit to Egypt

Thank you, I would prefer a guide and I will definitely be watching the sound and light show!

Thanks everyone for the tips! I can't wait!!

Edited: 3:12 am, January 04, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
reviews: 114
6. Re: First visit to Egypt

I should also possibly warn you that you may be offered certain excursion services etc. via the PM system of TA - please beware of some of those if you do get them. This is very much against the guidelines of TA and, in any case, you are better waiting till you get to Luxor where you can visit the offices of the various tour operators, fix up your tailor-made trips and thereafter haggle for the best price.

reviews: 4
7. Re: First visit to Egypt

Here you can have local stella or shakra beer. The local is cheaper at normaly around 1.80 for a large bottle. Bear in mind that although it says 4.5% these beers are very strong! Shakra normally 2/2.50 a can.

You can get a taxi or a calesh (horse drawn cart) to karnac for about 15/20Le for all traveling. Pay no more than this! !!! Also for anyone traveling with you who is a student card, if they take it you can enter temples and museums for half price!

Some lovely resturants we have found which serve beautiful food and the bill coming to around 30 for a table of four, including drinks are;

The puddleduck

Pizza roma

The fortunate cookie

The english tea rooms

These are all in the same road as the st Joseph hotel.

Stay away from the resturants in the souk market (tourists market) as it is expensive and very poor quality!

Another tip is that when you arrive taxi men and carrage men will try to sell u their services for the day I.e to take u to the valley of the kings etc and will claim to be cheap and better than others.

From the east bank you can walk from practically anywhere to the ferry crossing. The ferry cost 1le per person to cross each way or you can get a motor boat (not a faluka)for no more than 5le.

Once on the west bank you can get a taxi anywhere. To carter house, its no more than 10le. To get to the valley of the kings or queens pay noore than 15/20le.

I hope this helps!!!!

8. Re: First visit to Egypt

Here you can have local stella or shakra beer. The local is cheaper at normaly around 1.80 for a large bottle. Bear in mind that although it says 4.5% these beers are very strong! Shakra normally 2/2.50 a can.

You can get a taxi or a calesh (horse drawn cart) to karnac for about 15/20Le for all traveling. Pay no more than this! !!! Also for anyone traveling with you who is a student card, if they take it you can enter temples and museums for half price!

Some lovely resturants we have found which serve beautiful food and the bill coming to around 30 for a table of four, including drinks are;

The puddleduck

Pizza roma

The fortunate cookie

The english tea rooms

Stay away from the resturants in the souk market (tourists market) as it is expensive and very poor quality!

Another tip is that when you arrive taxi men and carrage men will try to sell u their services for the day I.e to take u to the valley of the kings etc and will claim to be cheap and better than others.

From the east bank you can walk from practically anywhere to the ferry crossing. The ferry cost 1le per person to cross each way or you can get a motor boat (not a faluka)for no more than 5le.

Once on the west bank you can get a taxi anywhere. To carter house, its no more than 10le. To get to the valley of the kings or queens pay noore than 15/20le.

I hope this helps!!!!

9. Re: First visit to Egypt

The puddleduck

Pizza roma

The fortunate cookie

The english tea rooms

I hope this helps!!!!

London, United...
10. Re: First visit to Egypt

Although beckie20 told us 3 times, she still got the names of the local beers incorrect.

They are (Egyptian) Stella, not to be confused with the British or European beers of the same name and the other locally brewed beer is Sakara (not shakra as stated).

I would also disagree with her advice to stay away from restaurants in the Souk, as they are usually far cheaper than the others she lists and the quality of the food is fine IMO.

The 'restaurants' around the souk area are better described as cafes IMO and so should not be compared directly to the tourist restaurants that beckie20 has listed.