We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train luxor to aswan

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
train luxor to aswan

hi,,are foriegners allowed travel on the day trains between luxor and aswan

reviews: 49
1. Re: train luxor to aswan

The best place to answer your question is

http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm#Tourist travel restrictions

At the moment locals are from time to time blocking the track between Aswan and Luxor. For this reason travel agents in Aswan and Luxor do not like to book foreigners onto trains.

Bedfordshire
Destination Expert
for Luxor
reviews: 25
2. Re: train luxor to aswan

First time I have heard that 'offonmyholiday' I knew that there was trouble on the Cairo Luxor line maybe over 6 months ago. There has been members recently who have used the Luxor Aswan line with no problem plus the train was on time.

So to answer KV5, yes foreigners are allowed to use the train but in theory only the 1st class trains. You can buy your ticket on the train or at the station. I have done both, you pay slightly more on the train but they would not sell me one at the station, think he had run out of 1st class tickets.

Phil

NE UK
reviews: 21
3. Re: train luxor to aswan

Hi. I did this journey last month. The train left Luxor at around 8am and arrived in Aswan at 11.10 am. I was told by the ticket office to buy my ticket on the train, the ticket man comes through the carriage after it has left Luxor. The train was comfortable enough, but very messy, the floor being littered with food leftovers. It's nice to see the cultivated areas and part of the line is quite close to the river. Take tissues, wipes and hand gel. Good luck.

Staffordshire...
reviews: 3
4. Re: train luxor to aswan

Yes you will be should be able to use the train to reach Aswan. Bear in mind that, as Phil900 said, you might have to but your ticket on the train. Also, trains are often late arriving/departing Luxor, due to to delays on the long journey from Cairo. Returning, they usually depart from Aswan on time, as that is the beginning of their journey north.

I did experience line blockades by locals in November 2011, turning what should have been a 3 hour journey to Aswan in to more like 6 hours, eventually arriving about 2.40 a.m.. It was totally non-threatening, but a bit of a drag. I don't know if this is still occurring, others might be able to shed some light here. No problems on the return leg.

Edited: 2:45 pm, January 03, 2013
dublin
5. Re: train luxor to aswan

thanks for all the comments and help..much apreciated.

Bucks
reviews: 2
6. Re: train luxor to aswan

You won't be sold tickets at the station for anything but the deluxe sleeper, but the solution is either to buy online ( follow link given previously) or just get on the train and pay on board.

UK
7. Re: train luxor to aswan

You can't buy Luxor-Aswan or Aswan-Luxor tickets online I'm afraid.

Bucks
reviews: 2
8. Re: train luxor to aswan

https://enr.gov.eg/ticketing/public/login.jsf

Haven't got my login details handy so can't check it'll do Luxor/Aswan but it certainly does Cairo to Luxor or Aswan

UK
9. Re: train luxor to aswan

I'm familiar with the website. It won't allow you to book Luxor-Aswan or Aswan-Luxor online.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 52
10. Re: train luxor to aswan

Just buy the tickets for Aswan-Luxor on the train, I have done that the last few times with no problems.