We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
reviews: 2
MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Hi we travel on the MS Serenade next month, I'm try to find out if I can use my credit card for payment or is it a cash only boat. Any advise would be appreciated.

Leven, United...
11. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

We have just returned from a nile cruise (7/11/12) on the MS Serenade After alot of stressing beforehand i can honestly say we had a great time. This was down to the lovely friend's we met on the boat at our table The Boat itself was classed as a 5* but more like a 2* in this country the boat itself needed an upgrade and paint! Most the staff were very polite and nothing was to much trouble, The food although well presented was a little repetative fish,beef and chicken served at lunch and dinner in one form or another breakfast was continental! We did'nt book the excursions at the time of booking because we found a link to this guy info@petraluxor.com he does tours at a third of the price the boat are charging! we e-mailed him before hand then telephoned him when we got there!Onboard entertainment was a bellydancer and a whirling dervish and another night staff and holidaymakers dressed in Egyptian Clothes

Middlesbrough...
12. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

After a lot of deliberation because of the FCO raising the terror threat in Egypt we decided to carry on with our Nile cruise on the MS Serenade.

Even after reading all about the Visa scam on TA we and all the other people on the boat still got stung. They do this by having the name of your boat and your name on a large sheet of paper and ushering you into a queue to get your visa. It’s only when you get to the front of the queue and they give you your visa that you realise you’ve been had.

After exiting the airport and fighting off the porters who want to carry your luggage to the bus, we then found that the man who loads your luggage onto the bus also wanted money (no one got a penny from us) we then sat for about an hour waiting for 10 people who in the end didn’t turn up.

The 20 minute or so journey to the boat itself was a bit of an eye opener as to the amount of poverty even in the larger cities such as Luxor.

The boat itself is long past its best and in our opinion looked the tattiest of all the boats we saw/passed during the cruise.

The public areas such as the reception and bar were kept up to a reasonable standard but far from the 5* luxury they were advertised as being.

Cabins were of a good size and again a reasonable standard but when it came to towels, bed linen and anything else that was supposed to be white, well they were all a dirty gray colour.

Food left a lot to be desired and was very repetitive, again the table cloths, napkins etc were the by now familiar dirty gray colour.

The sun deck was the worst part of the boat, it being in need of a good coat of paint all over. These boats all seem to have a sun deck covered in green artificial grass like carpet ours was tear ridden and at times a tripping hazard.

Sun beds again were passed their best but at least we never had to fight to get one.

The staff were very attentive and under the circumstances they have to work were very good.

Excursions etc were well run and on time etc. Cruising down the Nile was far better than we had imagined. The only problem was wherever you went you were hassled to buy anything from bookmarks to Egyptian costumes this was persistent and reduced 1 or 2 people to tears. In Luxor and Aswan we were docked for a couple of days and people stayed on they boat and didn’t go for a walk around because they didn’t want to “run the gauntlet” of local sellers following you down the road.

Far and away the best part of our cruise was the people who were on our dining table because we got in with a very good crowd we were able to enjoy our cruise and spent many a night laughing and joking and last out of the bar.

Would I recommend a Nile cruise, yes I would. Would I recommend the MS Serenade, no I would not.

Do your research into your boat before you book it.

Swansea
reviews: 11
13. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Hi my partner and I have booked a holiday on the Serenade next month....have taken your comments on board, can you please answer?.. is there a dress code for the evenings and also what are drink prices like on the Serenade?

Middlesbrough...
14. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Hi.

No there is no dress code onboard the Serenade, smart casual is the order of the day, although there is an Egyptian night which is a bit of fun. You can buy costumes on the ship which are very reasonably priced. Drinks are a little more expensive than at home but most people expect that, they are not excessive.

Swansea
15. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Hi, thanks for your reply, most appreciated.... also may I please ask....do they offer an excursion to Abu Simbel?...we have paid for the trips to Valley of Kings etc.....I understand that Abu Simbel tours start early, how much can I expect to pay?

Leatherhead, United...
reviews: 1
16. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Hi. We finished our Nile Cruise on the MS Serenade last Wednesday, 20th Feb. Yes, we went on a trip by coach to Abu Simbel on the Monday morning. We paid £60 or £70 each, can't remember! And yes, it was an early start with a wake up call at about 2.30am and departure at 3.30am! But it was fantastic and we wouldn't have missed it for the world. We sailed straight after arriving back at the boat so had the afternoon to recuperate in readiness for dressing up for the Egyptian party in the evening. On the way you cross the Tropic of Cancer although at the moment there is no sign to tell you you are crossing and the guide didn't know exactly where it was. On the way there you see the sunrise over the desert and on the way back we saw a lot of mirages which were very fascinating. We had an even earlier start when we did Hurghada to Cairo by bus (and back) last Sunday with a 1.45am start! Hope that helps.

Swansea
17. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Very many thanks Anne, very helpful info. .

18. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:47 am, May 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 35
19. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

Hi EssexUkAngela,

This boat has been discussed more than any other on this forum, here is the longest thread about it

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k…

If you go to Pg 10 on that thread you can contact a couple of the posters that just came back in March. Just click on their name and then click on Send Message.

20. Re: MS Serenade, Nile Cruise Boat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:47 am, May 21, 2013