We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newbury, berkshire
reviews: 84
Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

Hello,

We have three days in Luxor later this week, and as we know the town quite well already, we'd be interested in skipping over to the Red Sea for a day before we head off to Aswan - our REAL destination. Is there a convoy system to eg Marsa Alam? Do taxis go ? Is it feasible (and worth it ) to do a day trip. I imagine the scenery is pretty wonderful ... Any tips/advice would be very welcome!

Thanks,

Simon.

Royston
reviews: 44
1. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

Hi,

We're you hoping for snorkelling? There is not much else at MA. If is feasible, I've done the day trip from MA to luxor. There wasn't a convoy when we went and we were on an organised trip. You should be able to do it by taxi. Someone else may be able to help further. The desert scenery is amazing :)

London, United...
2. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

'The desert scenery is amazing :)'

But after looking at nothing but rocks and sand,out of a taxi window for about 4 hours or so and then doing it all again on the way back, you might welcome something else to look at, LoL !

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
reviews: 154
3. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

A look at the 1st photo at http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref in the 'Kanais' folder will show the sort of view along the Marsa Alam road from Edfu.

As KV-explorer has hinted - Pink can get boring, especially in the heat.

newbury, berkshire
reviews: 84
4. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

Thanks for your help on this. I think the key is the snorkling question .... as neither of us can swim I guess Marsa Alam isn't really the obvious destination. And it IS a long way ...

Simon.

London, United...
5. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

That is what the Red sea destinations offer over and above the inland ones and if you want to snorkel, dive, jetski, windsurf, etc. then they are a must !

But if you don't swim and so I am guessing are therefore possibly nervous around deep water, I am struggling to think what you will do there.

If you are staying in Luxor and want to go diving or snorkelling around the coral reefs, then it is worth the long trip as you know that is what you have to do to get there.

But if you don't swim, there isn't that much else to do there to be honest.

Royston
6. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

There is a glass bottom boat trip, I think it goes from port ghalib but it's an awfully long way to go just for that.

Wales
reviews: 13
7. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

Hi there

We're doing this trip in April, as part of a twin centre holiday - Nile Cruise and Marsa Alam (and yes, we're going to snorkel!).

Can anyone tell me roughly how long the journey is each way and the likely route - and most importantly, are there toilet stops en route!

Cheers

London, United...
8. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

Read reply no.2 and yes, there will be toilet stops.

Royston
9. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

The journey is a long one. I think it look 5 1/2 hours the route we took. There is a truck stop type place where you can pay 2le to use the grubby loos whose doors don't lock properly and have no loo roll and might have soap if you're lucky ;) take hand gel and tissues! We had a loo on the coach which helped.

Wales
reviews: 13
10. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam by taxi?

Thanks both.

Post 2 re-read and have reprimanded myself for not studying it more closely before (although there is quite a difference between 4 hours and 5 1/2 hours).

Not sure if our transfer will be by taxi or coach, but will take gel and paper in any case.

Any suggestions of likely route?