We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
reviews: 40
Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

We have just booked a cruise on the Crown Prince. It's our first river cruise so I have a few questions. How much is the visa in sterling or is it only in US $? Is it worth upgrading to the drinks package at £99 each. My hubby likes a drink and I would have a couple a day? What sort of drinks would be included? If we decided not to pay the extra how expensive are drinks on board eg. water, gin and tonic, coffee? What sort of temperatures would we expect in the middle of January and will we need mozzie spray? Will January be busy on board the boat? What is the best deck level to be on? Sorry to ask so many questions and thanks in advance for any replys.

Heather.

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 17
31. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

Hi, unfortunately I wasnt one of the party of 11, I paid £75 for my balloon trip but it was still good value compared to the same in the UK when you often can't go on the date you want due to weather. You are pretty much guaranteed to fly in Egypt as they rarely get high winds. Ours was a misty morning but it soon cleared. The group booked it from a shop in front of the Winter Palace in Luxor. They came as a group but this price can easily be achieved with some tenacious haggling. The Winter Palace is also good for afternoon tea as is the Iberotel in Aswan. (About the same as a Starbucks) Also the Old Cataract where Agatha Christie wrote Death on the Nile. (if you don't go to Abu Simbel). We didnt and glad of it. Whether you fly or coach for 3 hours each way you are not there for long and although people said it was fab, I've saved it for another time when I don't do all the others.

Have a great time and be sure to join in Galabaya night and "walk like an Egyptian"

One last tip for the restaurant, on your first night, get to diner early and choose your seat well as its for the whole week, make sure you don't have to squeeze past anybody else everytime you want more food. Some tables are close together. I was given this tip and chose the round one just on the right as you go in....close to the omelette queue in the morning.

alnwick,northumberla...
reviews: 3
32. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

thanks for that info-duly noted!! Great to have some knowledge before you go-cheers

Blandford Forum...
reviews: 7
33. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

Just back from Cruising this year - first timers - had a ball, couldnt fault the boat, the cleanliness of the rooms, service - you name it! We had chosen all inclusive which meant we got the drinks but paid for the trips - Abu Simbel, Valley of the Kings, Dendara, and Hapchepsuts Temple - awesome! its mindboggling when you see the reliefs and colours that are still visible after 4 centuries!

great service from everyone on board, the towel art was amazing - nearly as good as the trips! chef kindly cooked some Omm Ali for us which was fantastic.

the cocktail party and subsequent silver service meal was very good too. the restuarant was beautifully laid out with candles and flowers.

boat was about half full - and the number of boats on the river was substantially down this year consequently the vendors were much more persistent than usual.

thoroughly recommend the boat and staff - will be going back again

Beverley, United...
reviews: 1
34. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

I have just read your report on the cruise and just wondered if you could give me some idea how much the trips are? We are looking to book for next Xmas and New Year and cannot decide whether to go all inclusive but pay for the trips or full board but pay for the drinks! What was the beer and wine like all inclusive? What ship did you go on and who did you booi with? Thanks for any help or info you could give me.

Blandford Forum...
reviews: 7
35. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

We were on the crown prince, but had been moved from the orchid where we booked all inclusive. I understand that the crown prince is usually full board and includes some of the trips, to upgrade to all inclusive wad I think about£115 each for the duration of the cruise . We paid for the trips which was £155 each, to add Abu simbel was another£75 each, there were 2 different types of availability , the discoverer and the explorer - not quite sure which we were but, if you have the option to take up the drinks do so because alcohol is expensive especially spirits as its all imported, just 3 drinks @£6 each per night will cost more than the upgrade cost

Beverley, United...
reviews: 1
36. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

Hi thanks for your reply. You know when you said you where on the Crown Prince, did you book the cruise through them or a company like Thompsons etc? Did you have to book your own flights etc? I do seem a bit dim about it all but we had seen a holiday through Thompsons that suited us and it is on on looking and reading on tripadviser etc that has made us unsure who to book with for the best price, espesially as at Xmas the price is alot higher anyway! Many Thanks

macclesfield
reviews: 36
37. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

We did this cruise about 18 months ago, booked through Thomson holidays, I think it was Nile Discovery. It included flights, transfers, half board on the boat & all the trips. All we had to pay extra for was drinks & tips. It was all fantastic, the best trip we've done to Egypt so far (already been to Luxor twice) and was excellent value at the time.

We didn't opt for the all inclusive - we found we didn't drink all that much, as we were off the boat a lot of the time in the day, and with the early starts, there was no late drinking culture, so it was really just a drink or two with dinner. You have to remember that you get better quality drinks when you are paying for it too i.e. bottled beer rather than the draught stuff in a small plastic cup, equally we heard that the AI wine wasn't too good. It all depends how much you plan to drink, & what you would find acceptable in terms of quality!

Please go, it is a fantastic place, and given all the recent problems, the Egyptians will welcome you with open arms!

London, United...
reviews: 4
38. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

I wondered if someone can help me - We are going shortly and cant find out following:

1. The Abu Simbel trip and other extra trips - Do you pay in UK currency or Egyptian currency?

2. The All Inclusive drinks package - again is this charged in UK currency or Egyptian currency?

3. Someone mentions a cocktail party - what are the dress codes? Do men have to wear a collar and tie?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

England
39. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

Asley, if you are buying the trip from the rep on the boat you can pay in £ UK or using plastic, the all inc drinks is in £ uk, I was offerered an upgrade from Thomsons for £77 which is better than on the boat (£99-115) .The cocktail party consists of one cocktail, canapes and is usually about half an hour before dinner (never understood the logic on that one), smart casual but tbh it isnt like a cocktail party just a mad scramble for the one drink. I am going on the CP myself soon for the second time and can't wait, its a lovely boat.

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 17
40. Re: Crown Prince Nile river cruise, first timers.

Book through Thompsons and you are totally covered if anything goes wrong. Only package holidays like this are truely covered for everything. Many companies that sell holidays online, combine all the different elements to offer you a complete package but they are often with individual companies and if you miss the flight for instance, you still have to pay for everything else and change it all individually. Check the small print.

Go all inclusive on trips if you've never been before and if you drink like a fish, upgrade on the boat on day 1 to the full drinks package.

No longer recommending the balloon flight - but it was great.

Enjoy your holiday

Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations