We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick pockets

Which Aswan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 15
Pick pockets

Hi everyone. I just wanted to caution people as i got pick pocketed in Aswan when i was there at the beginning of March. There's a couple young kids, probably 10 or 12 years old, and they were pushing up against me from either side supposedly selling papyrus bookmarks as i was walking down the Corniche, and when i walked away to cross the street the one followed me and got in front of me when traffic was coming and i was trying to get by him and he picked my front jeans pocket. I realized within a couple seconds what he did but he took off right away after getting about 200 LE, luckily nothing important was there. It seems it's the kids you gotta watch out for. And this was right on the Corniche near the souk. So just be ware all, don't let the kids get too agressive with you. This particular kid would be easy to spot as he had long curly hair but who knows what area he normally frequents. I was more careful after this and was fine for the rest of my trip.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt
reviews: 28
1. Re: Pick pockets

sorry for what happened for you, pick pockets are all over the world, just for every one try to be very careful from people who try to sell you things in streets, not just kids, also from others who approach you asking you to change for them some Euro coins into notes, take care of your valuable belongings

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 19
2. Re: Pick pockets

Sorry to hear that Max, i had a similar experience in Luxor but fortunately they did not get anything. A kid was trying to sell me scarabs in the street & another teenager pulled up on a motorbike to block me while the little one put his hand in my bag.

Swansea, MA
reviews: 11
3. Re: Pick pockets

Those same kids tried to pick pocket my husband as well on the Corniche....unsuccessfully thankfully! I reported them to the tourist police on march 1st. Also small children 4-5 years old made an attempt in the Souk.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 15
4. Re: Pick pockets

There seems to a little ring going on. They aren't dangerous fortunately, nor are they that successful as it barely worked on me and i'll take it as a lesson learned. If you recognize them and don't be freindly or let your gaurd down because they are children and just say "LA" in an unfriendly tone when they approach they tend to go away. Hopefully the police will watch for them as they are giving the generally good people around there a bad rep. If you are thinking of visiting tho please don't let it put you off....

Swansea, MA
reviews: 11
5. Re: Pick pockets

Don't let it put you off but know that these incidents, along with being approached by people constantly and needing to continually be on your guard does not make for a relaxing vacation. If you are looking for a relaxing, carefree vacation, you picked the wrong place.

Luxor, Egypt
reviews: 24
6. Re: Pick pockets

Unless you want to stay in your hotel for the duration of your holiday; it is no use coming to Luxor for "a relaxing, carefree vacation". I agree wholeheartedly!

There are a couple of hotels which might suit you, or perhaps the holiday village down beyond the Luxor Bridge, but Luxor town is not (and as far as I'm aware, never has been) a place for "a relaxing, carefree vacation".

The purpose built resorts on the Red Sea would be ideal for people who are looking for "a relaxing, carefree vacation", but certainly not Luxor!

Best wishes,

Edward.

Edited: 4:50 pm, March 23, 2012
Luxor, Egypt
reviews: 24
7. Re: Pick pockets

I've just realised that this thread is in the Aswan Forum.

I know; I shouldn't be allowed out by myself, sorry!

Regards,

Edward.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane
reviews: 33
8. Re: Pick pockets

I just recently came from there and had them in my face a no no and no didn't work so I had to get mean with them, I had my purse around my neck and across my shoulder they got very close I was about to push them away when my guide intervened, it's unsettling to say the least.Collie

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 80
9. Re: Pick pockets

You sound a little wound-up Edward, have a glass of wine. Or maybe that was the cause. ;-)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 80
10. Re: Pick pockets

Oh goodness, that sounded like I was casting aspersions OurLuxorflat.....only meant as a joke!