We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

Which Giza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 27
Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

hello,

i am hoping to spend my last day in cairo visiting the pyramids before taking the sleeper train from giza to luxor.

1. since the sleeper train leaves at 20:00 i'm wondering, after visiting the pyramids in the late morning/afternoon, where, in giza, would be a good place to "hang out" for a few hours before the train leaves?

2. should i plan on eating dinner in giza? (i assume that they won't be serving dinner on the train? no?)

thanks so much,

-a

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 35
1. Re: Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

Are you staying in Giza, where is your luggage? I would just go back to your hotel, have dinner freshen up and leave from there.

They do serve dinner on the train but it's very ORDINARY- chicken /rice potato/ yoghurt/ tea coffee. Breakfast was not much better, croissant /bread roll (both stale) fruit cake which was yummy, jam, piece of fruit/ tea coffee. I suggest you eat first and take a few snacks and drinks, you pay extra for soft drinks.

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 27
2. Re: Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

my hotel is in downtown cairo. i was planning to checkout, then visit the pyramids before getting on the train. luggage-wise i just carry a daypack so luggage isn't a problem.

so, if i do eat in giza before the train, any suggestions on a place to eat in giza?

thanks.

-a

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 35
3. Re: Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

Personally I would go to the Mena House Hotel and eat there. It is a beautiful historic hotel, good restaurants ranging from snacks to fancy and very close to the pyramids. There are always lots of taxis outside to catch to the station.

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 19
4. Re: Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

its all about what kind of food would you like to try and what atmosphere classy or fast food , sea food, grill like kebab and kofta or koshary

there is some places where egyptian home made dishes are served

also you can try the egyptian (fteer) with chesse or honey or even hot dog

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 24
5. Re: Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

sleeping train serve meal ( included in the price of the ticket )

wataniasleepingtrains.com/Watania/Home.html

check this ( the website of sleeping train company )

there are alot of restaurants in el haram st ( st that start from the pyramids and ends at the train station ) long st about 9 k.m full of all types of restaurants that you may need MC . KFC .pizza hut . tekka grilled chicken.dominos pizza but all of them have no view (only street view)

there is a restaurant called andrea check it . i think it is best place for you to pass few hours there tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294201-d1…

6. Re: Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 am, September 14, 2014
7. Re: Place to Wait for Sleeper Train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 15, 2013