We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

Which Giza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
westland michigan
Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

Dear Dr Hawass- Please allow picture taking when the museum opens in 2015. Museums such as the British Museum-Louvre and National Archeologicial Museum Athens allow photos. I have taken pictures in these museums and have not seen any problems with people taking pictures. If these museums really felt there was a danger to the art work, I dont think they would allow photos.

Edited: 8:55 pm, June 23, 2011
Cairns, Australia
reviews: 53
1. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

Pictures can be taken at the current museum however flash are not allowed

The Scottish Borders
reviews: 57
2. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

Hi Kezza19 - AFAIK taking photos hasn't been allowed in the Egyptian Museum for a good few years now,

On my first visit to Cairo around 9 years ago now you could take pictures without using the flash but there was a photography ban brought in not long after that and now all cameras have to be checked in before entering the museum.

Suzie :-)

Edited: 5:46 am, July 19, 2011
West Country
reviews: 57
3. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

The way things are going Dr Hawass won't have any say in the photo or not policy in 2012 let alone 2015. Never saw the harm in non flash pictures myself but being blinded by flash can be very off-putting.

London, United...
4. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

Zahi Hawass is no longer Minister of Antiquities for Egypt as he has resigned (again) just before being sacked due to public disapproval at his re-instatment to this post recently.

Due to the public anger vented at him outside the Ministry on his departure, it is VERY unlikely he will hold any position of officialdom within Egypt in the future, as he is seen as a crook who was only really interested in 'feathering his own nest' and using the Antiquities and archeological sites of Egypt to do so.

He therefore will have no say in photography restrictions this year, next year, or any other year !

Edited: 1:02 pm, July 19, 2011
Cairns, Australia
reviews: 53
5. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

I was allowed to take photos at the museum late last year. The only time I was forbidden to use a camera whilst in Egypt was at the Valley of the Kings

Colden, New York
reviews: 72
6. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

Just returned and no cameras allowed in the Egyptian Antiquities Museum. I was pissed to see a guy taking a sneaky phone photo of King Tut's death mask. No one around to stop him or make him delete the photo. Museum needs to make people check their phones with the cameras or at least have a guard in high profile areas to prevent someone from disregarding the rules when the majority are following them! Other museums allow photos but no flash which I think could work at this museum. I had hoped to buy an official museum guide book but no English ones were available. No one else was taking photos that I saw except for this guy.

7. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:41 am, October 19, 2012
llanelli Wales
reviews: 1
8. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

have been to the museum last year and the year before and cameras are not allowed,but,my guide did get me a d.v.d that was taken of all the exhibits on a tour type ,made by the security guards themselves and only available to guides in the know,my guide who I use each time I am in Egypt ,did not charge me,was hoping to go this year,but,am awaiting surgery and am on the standby list,but will hope to go as soon as possible after,hope you have a good time I feel sure you will.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
reviews: 31
9. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

agree with KV explorer and with all above.

about pictures yes it was allowed several years ago without flash, BUT as lots of tourists were trying to play smart and take pictures with the flash so rules changes to not allow any cameras inside.

Also I wish they allow again to take the cameras inside the museum, but also some visitors must follow the rules

Niagara Falls...
reviews: 111
10. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum photo policy

In Dec 2010 I was not allowed my camera and was forced to put all my belongings in a safe before entering, we were sent away after trying to pass security:S