We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mena House or Hilton Pyramids for 2 night visit to Giza?

Which Giza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, Georgia
reviews: 37
Mena House or Hilton Pyramids for 2 night visit to Giza?

We are planning a trip to Rome in October and are adding on a 2 night detour to Egypt to see the pyramids and sphinx in Giza. We will be arriving late in the afternoon, taking a cab to the hotel, and then have the following day to see the pyramids and sphinx. We were planning to stay at the Hilton since we would earn points and get an upgrade since my husband is a Gold member, but then I saw the Mena House and really like how close it is to the pyramids... The rate at the Hilton is $316 per night for a junior suite which includes breakfast and dinner both days... The rate at the Mena House is around $300 per night and I can't see anywhere on their site that it even includes breakfast, and for sure it doesn't include dinner... How much would those meals cost for 2 adults per day, and is it really worth that much more to stay there instead of the Hilton? We will be hiring a tour guide to take us to the pyramids, so I assume they will pick us up at either hotel... Can you see the laser show from the Mena House or would you have to go back over to the pyramids anyway? Thanks!

Philadelphia
reviews: 15
1. Re: Mena House or Hilton Pyramids for 2 night visit to Giza?

I definitely recommend Mena House! I've stayed there twice, once in the Garden section & once in the Palace section. Both parts have specified Pyramid view rooms - you can request 1 of these when you make your reservation.

The Palace actually was a royal residence in the 19th century. Staying there is a memorable experience, as you are surrounded by luxury with a lot of nice amenities. And, of course, nothing compares to waking up in the morning & seeing The Pyramids just outside your bedroom window!

There is a casual restaurant in the Palace, called Khan el Khalili (named after the market in Cairo). It's moderately price, the food is quite good, & there's a large picture window with a close up view of The Great Pyramid.

I don't think you will ever regret choosing Mena House over the Hilton!

Leeds
reviews: 45
2. Re: Mena House or Hilton Pyramids for 2 night visit to Giza?

Hello, we stayed at Mena House in December.

You can't see the laser show from Mena House, you'd need to get a taxi back to the Sphinx area where the show takes place. If you have a pyramid view room you can see the tops of the pyramids light up while the shows are running, but that's all.

Yes, your guide will pick you up from whichever hotel you choose.

We ate in the Restaurants at Mena House each night rather than going out of the hotel and we spent 320LE, 520LE and 650LE on the 3 nights we ate there. (The 650 was in the Moghuls Indian Restaurant, the other 2 occasions we ate in Khan el Khalili). If I recall correctly, we usually had 2 courses and a couple of beers. It's not cheap but it's not extremely expensive (compared to UK prices).

You should check if breakfast is included - we booked through an agent and were on a B&B basis.

It's a lovely hotel, but I don't know the Hilton at all so can't compare. Did you check the reviews on tripadvisor for the Hilton to see how they compare?

Edited: 2:30 pm, January 09, 2011
3. Re: Mena House or Hilton Pyramids for 2 night visit to Giza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 09, 2011