We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over pyramid tours

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 90
Stop over pyramid tours

I am traveling solo and have a ten hour stopover in Cairo and I thought about leaving the airport and seeing the pyramids, getting lunch and coming back. Hopefully no more than six hours, less would be fine.

I emailed a couple of places that give private tours and they all seem too eager to sell me a bunch of other things. Honestly, after a long flight I don't want to see that much and many seem to want to show me the pyramids at night, which is not what I want.

Am I missing something here, is there another reason for this or is this just upselling? I'm interested in recommendations of tour agents that will not try and sell me what I do not want and that I can trust.

Thanks.

London, England
reviews: 24
1. Re: Stop over pyramid tours

It’s just marketing. Most of these companies will try and sell you everything the possibly can and more. Also, you can’t visit the pyramids at night; just go to the Sound & Light Show which, however entertaining, is by no means the same thing. If your inbound flight is on time, it takes an hour to clear immigration and customs etc, it takes say an hour each way between the airport and the pyramids and you have to check in for out outward bound flight two hours beforehand, you only have some five hours to spare. Depending on when you arrive, this is enough for a good visit to the pyramids but not much else.

Keep negotiating with the travel firms and be firm about what you want—eventually they will stop trying to sell you extra stuff and you will get what you are looking for. Unfortunately, the way you have worded your post will attract posts and PMs from all sorts of would-be guides, drivers and one-man-band travel companies. Some will be useful but some won’t. Be careful.

Edited: 11:39 am, June 16, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
2. Re: Stop over pyramid tours

Hi, i think what you need is a simple tour to the pyramids, this is very easy

first you need someone to pick you up from the airport and drive you to the pyramids area,

to see the pyramids area and the sphinx well, you need about 2 or 3 hours, it depends on you,

then you have lunch at one of the restaurant overlooking the pyramids, then drive back to the airport.

from the airport to the pyramids is1 hour

visit the pyramids 2-3 hours

lunch 1 hour

from the pyramids to the airport 1 hour

so in total you need 5-6 hours to do everything,

when you book the tour with a tour company, make sure what are you paying for,

going into the pyramid is included or is an extra?

the camel ride if you are interested, included or you have to pay extra,?

lunch is in the package or no,?

pick up from the airport and return,?

also if you ask to pay at the end of the tour, this will be more helpful.

Enjoy your trip

Egypt still beautiful

3. Re: Stop over pyramid tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014