We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo and maybe Petra?

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wroclaw, Poland
reviews: 7
Cairo and maybe Petra?

Hi TA members,

I have 6Ds 5Ns in Cairo in Oct. I was hoping to see Petra too.

How to get to Petra from Cairo?

If you had 6 days in Cairo what would your itinerary look like?

(Looking for ideas here) :)

London, England
reviews: 24
11. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

Personally, I think He meant “six”.

Egypt is more dangerous to visit than it was a couple of years ago but—assuming you use the same sort of commonsense you would at home—is at least as safe as any western city and probably more so. Avoid demos (if there are any while you are there) and keep an eye on your stuff. That said, you should be fine.

There’s a lot to see in Luxor and trying to cover it and Alexandria in three days is crowding things but you can do it.

If you want noise, stay in downtown Cairo but the difference between urban life in all its glory and a suburban-like calm, can be a matter of a block or two. I don’t know which particular hotel the journalists favour but, in my experience, it will be central, have a well stocked bar and probably provide some creative economics in the form of doctored and/or blank expense vouchers.

Beirut, Lebanon
reviews: 9
12. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

don't squeeze yourself . the trip to Petra isn't within two steps and you must plan one full day for petra .

Wroclaw, Poland
13. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

Thanks BBeckett and Rabith.

Noted on common sense :)

Sunnyvale, CA
reviews: 11
14. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

We are planning a trip there in December, and have played with various ideas, so here are a few suggestions:

-- one day to see pyramids -- Giza, Memphis, Saqqara -- day tours offered

-- if you can spend two days in the city, you can spend one day seeing Islamic Cairo -- start at Citadel and neighboring sights (Ibn Tulun, Sultan Hassan), walk to south gate @ Bab Zuwayla and Tentmaker's market, continue to Al Azhar mosque, hang out at Khan al-Khalili market, then walk through the street-of-palaces (Ben al-Qasreen) to the north gates. The second day can be spent in Coptic Cairo -- Hanging Church, Ben Ezra Synagogue, Coptic Museum -- and the Egyptian Museum.

-- if you want to condense the above to one day, hit the Egyptian Museum, and Islamic Cairo highlights -- Citadel, Al Azhar and Khan al-khalili

-- if you definitely want to go to Petra, then fly to Amman in the morning, and drive down to Petra, taking the slow road through Madaba, Mt. Nebo and Dead Sea. Stay overnight in Petra, then see Petra the next day. You can return to Amman to catch the last flight to Cairo (9pm). Or, if you have an extra day, go to Wadi Rum -- either get there by sunset and camp in the desert, or stay in Petra, and go early the next morning to do a desert safari, then return to Amman.

-- however, if this is the first time in Egypt, you must make time for Luxor-to-Aswan sights. This takes 4-nights/5-days if you fly to Luxor and take a 4-night cruise, flying back to Cairo on the 5th day. Can be done in reverse (better to see Abu Simbel), but will need to spend a night in a hotel in Luxor to see all its sights.

Hope this helps.

London, England
15. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

“...one day to see pyramids -- Giza, Memphis, Saqqara -- day tours offered”

As there are no true pyramids at Memphis, you are probably thinking of Dahshur. (Most of the original Memphis has long-since been swallowed up by the Nile and it makes for a short visit.) That there are day tours available goes without saying but, personally speaking, I would not dream of doing Giza and Sakkara/Dahshur on the same day if the time available offered any other option.

Also: if you want to see anything like “all its sights”, you will have to spend more than one night in a Luxor hotel.

Cairo, Egypt
16. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

Hi, you have 6 day more than enough to see Cairo very well, I recommend you

Day 1- visit the Giza pyramids, I recommend you to go early as much as you can to avoid the heat, the crowd and of course the camel guys,

The area opens at 8 AM, you need like 3 hours to visit the Pyramids, drive to down town Cairo, to visit the museum,

have lunch or a snack at the local restaurant Felfela not far from the museum, then visit the museum in the afternoon, it is very quiet

In the afternoon still open till 6 PM.

Day 2- drive to Memphis, the ancient capital, then Sakkara to visit the step pyramid which is the oldest,

Day 3- visit the citadel, Mohamed Ali Mosque, drive to old Cairo to visit the old Coptic churches, then Khan Kalili Bazzar , first have lunch or

A snack in a local restaurant then enjoy your shopping and the atmosphere of the market.

Day 4- Have a day trip to visit Alexandria leave T 7 Am return at 7 or 8 PM

Day 5- free morning after Alexandria trip in the evening have dinner on one of the river boats enjoy sailing on the Nile , belly dancer and

Egyptian music.

Enjoy your holiday

Egypt still beautiful

Wroclaw, Poland
17. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

Hi experts,

Plan inhave in mind now is

2 nights in cairo

2 nights luxor

1 night to alexandria

Final night in cairo.

Am i being too ambitious? :)

How do i get to Luxor fr Cairo?

And from luxor to Alexandria?

Thanks!

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
18. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

I think going to Alexandria is just a waste of time. It has nothing to offer but a crowded beach and too few attractions. Its better if you spend the extra day in Luxor or Aswan. You can take the sleep train or the plane between Cairo and Luxor and between Luxor and Alexandria.

London, England
19. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

For Cairo–Luxor, take a plane. Your schedule is too tight to risk any major delays (a regular occurrence these days I hear) to the train schedule. The fares can vary a lot so keep searching on-line and—when asked—put “Egypt” for your home country. (It’s not supposed o make a difference anymore but why take a chance.) I’m not sure about Alexandria but tend to agree with the last poster.

In Motion
20. Re: Cairo and maybe Petra?

The itinerary is quite packed, so maybe it would be too much to include Alexandria, but otherwise I don't think Alexandria is a waste of time. The city has a great atmosphere and it's nice to finish a trip with some great seafood and a stroll along the sea front.