We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Co. Wicklow, Ireland
reviews: 7
A few questions

Only 16 days to go now :-)

Just a few little questions for the wise ones:

Is the Khan el Khalili open on Sundays?

Is it walkable from Dokki or am I better taking the metro? If so, what is the nearest metro station to the Khan?

I understand banks are closed on Fridays and Saturdays - is that right?

What to do on my only 'free' day in Cairo which is a Sunday? (Pyramids, museum, citadel etc. etc. all taken care of on other days).

Good place to eat (lone female) on Sat/Sun evenings around Dokki area? (Nice but not too expensive and pref. with wine! - hic!)

Thanks very much for any help.

Kate

Copenhagen, Denmark
1. Re: A few questions

Hello Kate

On sunday you will find some shops open, don't worry, but there no metro between Dokki and Khan area. just take a taxi.

- Banks are close on Sun, Sat. but you can you ATM 24 hours with no problem.

- in your free day you can visit the Pyramids and Museum but I think you cannot visit more sights because of traffic, you will find a very bad traffic during week days except Friday only.

- For restaurants around your area please check this link http://www.cairo360.com/category/restaurants/

Hope this will help you

Cairo
2. Re: A few questions

The Banks will be open on Sunday because they close on Friday and Saturday

but inside the 5 stars hotels the banks will be open 24 Hours , 7 days a week

I would like to suggest you starting early to be able to do as much as you can in your only free day,

Have a nice time

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 19
3. Re: A few questions

You can take the metro from dokki to attaba then taxi for 7 minutes

United Kingdom
reviews: 55
4. Re: A few questions

Free day - see how you feel after everything you have seen.

I woke up on our last free day and just had to go back to see the Pyramids.

We were so lucky as the weather was overcast and cool and much emptier than our first visit it was lovely to soak up the Pyramids again and have a good walk & long horse ride in the area.

Perhaps visit more Pyramids in the area -Saqqara, Dahshur?

Enjoy :)

Alexandria, Egypt
reviews: 15
5. Re: A few questions

the banks are open in sundays while many shops are closed

you can take the metro to al attaba then take a taxi to khan al khalili

in one free day i would suggest the egyptian museum and mohamed ali mosque

in al tahrir restaurant felfela is very good choice with many oriental dishs

which i suggest is to take the metro to al tahrir then to visit the egyptian museum take your time there then eat at felfela restaurant then go by taxi to mohamed ali mosque and also by taxi to the souk ( dont wait that many shops will be open

enjoy your time

Cairo, Egypt
6. Re: A few questions

As Esther E said cairo360 is a good website for restaurant reviews. Also Zamalek is close to Dokki and has lots of great restaurants including some nice ones on the stationary riverboats, there are also riverboats in Dokki. You can check out www.elmenus.com for exact menu items and prices.

If you are seeing the main sites on your other days I would recommend walking around Azhar Park or down Moezz street in Islamic Cairo (or do both) on your free day.

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 24
7. Re: A few questions

khan is opened at sunday

yes banks are closed at friday and saturday

good place to eat near doki is zamalek island

in your free day you can go to cairo tower

Cairo
8. Re: A few questions

When taking a taxi ALWAYS take the all-white taxis, they have a meter, the old black and white don't and they overcharge foreigners. The meters starts at 2.50 L. E. If he for some reason not starting the meter, point at it and say: el Hadad!!. If he refuse saying: No Problem"....leave the taxi.

Scotland
reviews: 53
9. Re: A few questions

Kate - try and visit Sakkara and Dahshur if you haven't already added them to your 'must see' list. We had a wonderful day there so peaceful away from the busy streets of Cairo! Also pop into ElEzba for late lunch a lovely relaxing place to eat and rest. (I have added a short review under my profile for El Ezba)

Have a wonderful trip :o)

haysville,kansas
reviews: 11
10. Re: A few questions

Kate I visited in February and March, and, like you, I was a lone female. The one place I didn't have time for, and trully regret missing, is the cave church. I read a review on this form about it and researched it on the net. What a story! One of my assignments, in the Arabic class I took, was to give a report about a location in the MIddle East. I gave mine about the cave church, and found out from three people in the class, that had been to Cairo that this was new to them. My guide told me many that live in the city are also unfamilar with it.

One thing you can count on is that you'll love your visit and you'll never forget the traffic!