We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

I have a few days to decide on a Dec. 2012 trip to Egypt and a cruise down the Nile for a full refund of my deposit, I have read a few reports on safety in Egypt, but they are from early 2012. Has anyone been there recenly or have an idea what the end of the year looks like there for safety? Much appreciated...

Scotland
reviews: 64
1. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Very difficult to guess, we were in Sharm el Sheikh, Cairo and Dahshur in June and despite kidnappings in the Sinai area in the run up and during our time there we didn't experience any problems. We landed on the day that the verdict was given on Mubarak.

We also visited Dahshur and again didn't experience any problems but on 1st Aug, 16 people in Dahshur were injured in clashes. The best advice is to listen and take heed of the travel advice of your Country, if they say it is not safe then I would not go. But right now I would go back to Egypt but would not go near any demonstrations or large crowds and I would not wander about on my own, and this would apply also in my own country as some demonstrations can get out of hand and turn nasty, be aware of your surroundings and don't take any risks.

Only you can really decide whether you really want to go. Personally I love Egypt and I would go back in a minute :o)

Edited: 6:08 pm, September 11, 2012
Loughborough...
2. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

If you are cruising, then the chances of you encountering any serious problems is slight. There are many post on this subject now, including several near the top of this list! I wish people would do a little search before posting an oft asked question.

3. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:13 am, September 12, 2012
Edited: 6:13 am, September 12, 2012
Florida
reviews: 20
4. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Linda S, I am also booked to travel to Egypt in December on a trip with Uniworld. Today's events make me a little uncomfortable, too. That said, I'm going to keep reading posts on this board and elsewhere. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like people who have visited in the past couple months read or post to these boards.

5. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, September 11, 2012
Scotland
reviews: 64
6. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Ahmed - you know advertising on TA is against the rules? I have requested that your post be removed.

London, England
reviews: 24
7. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

ktwofish

If, as suggested, you would read through earlier threads, you will get a fair picture of the current ‘safety in Cairo’ issue. Indeed, you would see that one of the above posters will be in Cairo in a few days and I’m sure will up-date us all.

Edited: 7:39 pm, September 11, 2012
8. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Thank-you all - Mulzy, Ktwofish, BBectket, and Julian for your responses. Yes I agree, Ktowfish not much current information, There are only 11 people booked on my trip with a 44 seat capacity. I guess it all comes down to a gut level feeling, if you're uncomfortable don't go. I've read alot ol in the Embassy website and travel.gov and have become a bit apprehensive. It may best to go another time. Ther are so many places to go, I may just vacaton where I feel totally comforable. Thanks again!

Florida
reviews: 20
9. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

Hi, Linda S...did you make a decision on your trip? I'd like to know how many people have booked our December trip. Uniworld has all our money now, so we are waiting to see what happens. Glad we took out the insurance!

10. Re: Travel to Egypt - Dec. 2012

I booked it on the morning of 9 -11 and that night the attacks began. I cancelled the next day, so I was able to get my $450 deposit credited. Glad you took out insurance, I never do! Thanks for asking. Looking at other locations now, who knows where I'll go! It's all fun. I may even be in your area, possibly an island trip...??