We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA stopping wide-body jets to Cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hurghada, Egypt
reviews: 9
BA stopping wide-body jets to Cairo

Cairo - A daily 2 class A321 (see note) will replace a daily 4 class 772ER from 04JAN13. Flights will move from LHR T5 to T1 from the same date. The change in operation aircraft type result in the following capacity changes in each cabin from 4th January.

F - Will no longer be available. BA offered up to 98 seats weekly prior to the equipment change

J - Weekly capacity will drop by just over 52% from 338 to 161 seats

W - Will no longer be available. BA offered up to 280 seats weekly prior to the equipment change

Y - Weekly capacity will increase by just over 5% from 868 seats to 917 seats per week

BA plan to introduce a new mid range product using 7 A321's (G-MEDF, G, J, L, M, N & U) that are currently operated by BD. At present the A321' s are configured in a 2 class configuration with 31 cradle seats in business and 118 seats in economy.

BA plan to begin to begin to refurbish the British Midland A321's from October. The refurbishment will see BA replace the 31 cradle seats in business with 23 new lie flat seats in a 1-2 & 2-1 staggered configuration. The 118 seats in economy will be replaced with 131 new world traveller seats. BA's new Thales AVOD system will be fitted to these aircraft

Info from BA and Airliners net forums

R

Edited: 7:08 am, July 22, 2012
UK
reviews: 10
21. Re: BA stopping wide-body jets to Cairo

RAS2, I have flown with British Airways to Luxor quite a few times. The code-sharing, I remember clearly - I flew this route too. The 1996 timeframe you mention could have been the start of these flights, pulling out in 1997 after the terrorism at Luxor. Or, the code-sharing could have been after Hatshepsut, withdrawing quite quickly.

I started visiting in early 1980s. My hazy memory suggests that British Airways flew to Luxor prior to The Gulf War. I can't remember if they withdrew flights to Luxor during the Gulf War or when or if they resumed. I do know that I was very disappointed when British Airways stopped flying to Luxor. The code-sharing BA, came much later according to my memory. We may have used this twice in one year but it routed via Alexandria, for sure.

One thing is certain, remembering dates gets more and more difficult with age :) - for me!

Edited: 1:43 pm, March 04, 2013
Hurghada, Egypt
reviews: 9
22. Re: BA stopping wide-body jets to Cairo

FF as stated at the start of the thread these are the figures from British Airways based on the seating configuration on the aircraft they operate to Cairo.

AF I found an article listing Cairo and Luxor with British Airways from Gatwick which was to move to Heathrow with the acquisition of British Caledonian, article was from 1989.

R

UK
reviews: 10
23. Re: BA stopping wide-body jets to Cairo

Thanks, R. Late eighties sounds good to me. This thread is making me feel really old - British Caledonian acquisition - even that rings a bell. This was all in the dark days before high speed internet and online bookings. Even before TripAdvisor :)

24. Re: BA stopping wide-body jets to Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 07, 2014