We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening trip to khan el khalil

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 1
Evening trip to khan el khalil

Hi all..

We are arriving in cairo at 4pm and being transferred to our hotel oberoi in giza. Would it be possible to take a trip to the bazaar and have dinner around there, or is it going to be too late to make the trip?

We only have one day after this to do a full day trip to the pyramids and museum before starting our cruise so our time is limited!

Ta for any advice..

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 37
1. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

Yes it's possible, just grab a taxi. I usually eat at Gad restaurant on Sharia Al Azhar (cheap and tasty) and just walk over the footbridge to the Khan el Khalili, afterwards just grab a taxi back to your hotel.

UK
2. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

Great, I was thinking it might have been too late.. how long does it take and is there problems with traffic etc getting from giza to cairo?

Also, what time is the market open til? If we land at 4 im guessing we will probably get to our hotel around 6 or so and then be ready to leave at 7ish..??

Bengaluru...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

@ MowgliUK

Yes its possible but also maybe hectic, I stayed at the Mena House and visited the bazaar on the 16th.

1.Your arrival is @ 4 pm. Assuming your flight is on time and by the time you finish the formalities @ the airport you will not be leaving earlier than 4.30-4.45.

2. The drive to the Mena House is a good 45 min to an hour or more depending on traffic.

3.If you are with a tour operator and if this is your first day in Cairo or your trip he/she will take some time to explain your itinerary.Check in is a breeze though but will still take 30 min for everything.

4.A drive back to Khan el Khalili from Giza is again around 30-45 min depending on traffic.

SO if everything goes well and if ur lucky with traffic you can reach there around 7 ish as expected.

5. If its not possible i think its better the next day with the Pyramids and Museum. The Bazaar is not very far from the museum and can easily fit in your itinerary.(Just start your day an hour earlier if you think its too much)

UK
4. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

thanks! this is really useful, I couldnt find distances/timing anywhere..

I think we have a tour guide with us for the pyramids and museum so i think I will ask him to drop us at the bazaar at the end of the evening..

So maybe just dinner and a swim in the pool then.. :D nothing wrong with relaxing on your first night i guess!

Edited: 2:39 am, June 22, 2012
Bengaluru...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

Yup, That should be fine cause you will be seeing the Pyramids in the morning and museum later, so you can ask him to drop you off to the Bazaar.

NOTE: The Pool in Mena House is open till Sunset only. (Around 7 pm Max)

UK
6. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

Bummer! We can go for an early morning swim I guess :S

Ok, we're thinking of the sound and light show this night instead, if we are at the bazaar the next day, we wont have time for it then. We are only in cairo/giza for 2 nights!

reviews: 168
7. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

I have a recollection that shops start closing between 6-7. I think your plan is not good going there upon arrival but do try to fit it in. It is an amazing bazaar. Less crowds early in the day with things getting very hectic mid day to closing. Not sure about these days...my visit was pre revolution. Sound and light sounds like a good plan. Be sure to take some time to just enjoy the pyramids from the Mena House...to me that is the highlight of Cairo.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 37
8. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

Gene, that is strange that the shops were closing at 6 and 7, I usually don't get there till after 8pm, maybe its changed since November? I was there three times in October and November till 11.30pm at least, just checked my journal and the nights were Wednesday, Friday and Saturday - all the shops were open and there were very few tourists but still lots of locals.

reviews: 168
9. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

It is entirely possible I have Cairo confused with the Istanbul Bazaar. I believe I must if you are remembering the shops open. I do remember then in Istanbul going back to the Grand Bazaar to do business at a certain Jewelry shop and it was closed before 7pm and I think there they do close early. Sorry for the misinformation. It would make sense that business would be good later when it is cooler and people are wandering before dinner.

UK
10. Re: Evening trip to khan el khalil

Gene, i think you are right as I remember istanbul bazaar closing before dinner times!

Good to know that cairo bazaar is open til late, we'll spend our evening after the pyramids and museum there...