We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo in April

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West MIdlands, UK
reviews: 4
Cairo in April

Hi. I have a trip to Cairo booked for 2 weeks in April but have been told that the Khamsin wind makes it a bad time to be in the city. To what extent might this impact on my trip and does anyone have tips for coming prepared? Am determined it will not change my plans but want to make the best of whatever nature brings! Thanks.

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 35
1. Re: Cairo in April

The Khamasin (hot dusty winds) could very well happen during April... the dates are unpredictable as far as I know.. they usually do not last for more than 2 to 3 days at a time. Obviously, it is not fun.. specially when you are visiting outdoor sites such as the Pyramids, the Citadel etc...

Are you spending 2 full weeks in Cairo ? seems long to me... for such a duration you should include Upper Egypt (Luxor and Aswan), Sinai or the Red Sea... and make a day trip to Alexandria.

West MIdlands, UK
reviews: 4
2. Re: Cairo in April

Thanks for that Sherif. Yes, we do intend to travel other areas but have no firm plans yet. Thanks for making the point though.

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 3
3. Re: Cairo in April

I sometimes feel that the khamaseen problem is a little exaggarated in some travel guidebooks. Actually, a khamaseen weather seldom lasts more than one day. So do not be over-warned. It'll be a problem if you're going to stay in Egypt only for a small number of days, but if you'll be here for two weeks, there'll be another day!

In fact, Egypt enjoys a very good weather conditions for most of the year. I suppose that's the alomost only bad weather cases (khamaseens) are so much worried. In Europe, we experience a lot of bad days in a year. My home country (Japan) has a lot of typhoons and storms and very rainy seasons every year.

In Egypt, bad weathers come only 10 or 20 days at maximum in 365 days. In Cairo it rains only several times a year, and NEVER heavily or continuously. Egypt is surely a country loved by the nature.

Cairo, Egypt
4. Re: Cairo in April

Sorry, correction.

>I suppose that's the alomost only bad

>weather cases (khamaseens) are so much

>worried.

"I suppose that's the reason why almost only bad weather cases (khamaseens) are so much worried."

Cairo, Egypt
5. Re: Cairo in April

I agree with Sherif that if you have two weeks, you can enjoy a lot of good parts of Egypt!I agree with Sherif that if you have two weeks, you can enjoy a lot of good parts of Egypt!

Sorry for repeated posts. Wish you a good stay.