We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo guides and hotels

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 89
Cairo guides and hotels

Hi,

I'm going to Cairo for 10 days with a friend at the end of January. We were wondering if anyone could recommend a decent clean hotel? All the hotels the tour operator has suggested and given us quotes for seem to be a bit hit and miss according to reviews on this site. We've got a budget of ��25 per person per night and the best hotel suggested so far is the Cosmopolitan, the main thing we're looking for is clealiness and a place that's safe.

Also can anyone suggest a guide in Cairo? The tour operator we're going with books all tours seperately from accommodation and so tours with them, for just 2 people, are expensive as they are priced for groups of 6 - 10 and we would have to pay this price between the two of us. I read, on this site, someone suggesting a lady called Nadine who was their guide and I was wondering if Nadine worked as a guide we could hire or if that was just a one off?

Please help!

Giza, Egypt
1. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

The last time I inspected the Cosmopolitan I found it rather "tired" and run down, and going by what I saw and also from some reviews I've read I gather that cleanliness is not its strongpoint. Frankly the best thing going for it is its central location.

If you want a very clean, reasonably priced and well run hotel in a nice, safe area, you can't do any better than the Longchamps in my personal opinion. The Longchamps is a real gem - a small, cosy boutique hotel with excellent management/staff and service, a real home away from home. Technically the hotel is classified as 3 stars, but it is in my opinion far superior to any other 3-star hotel I have ever seen in Egypt. It is quite a small hotel with only 20 guest rooms, but it has its own restaurant/bar plus two lovely terraces for relaxing, and it had the feel of a homey, country bed and breakfast. It's in a quiet residential neighbourhood, yet in close proximity to a wide selection of shops and restaurants, and about 5 minutes from the Nile and central Cairo. A double room runs about $56-60 (approx GBP32-34), so it's well within your budget of GBP50 for the two of you.

All of my clients who have stayed at the Longchamps have loved it, and always request it when they return to Cairo. Since the Longchamps is a small hotel and highly popular I advise you to book as far ahead as possible. Since I'm in Cairo I would be happy to call and make a reservation for you, or if you prefer you can contact them direct by e-mail at: hotel.longchamps@web.de - attention Mrs Hebba Bakri, the owner. You may like to mention that I highly recommended the hotel to you.

London
reviews: 89
2. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

Thanks for your advise Kareninegypt, I've got our travel gent to look into it.

Do you also know of any guides in Cairo?

3. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:31 am, January 09, 2006
reviews: 17
4. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

hi if you still need a guide you should use karen who just replied to you.we used her in september,she can sort out all your tours and tickets etc.her website is www.heartofegypt. very good value,affordable for just two of you.

Sydney
reviews: 7
5. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

I am not particularly referring to anyone mentioned in this thread, but I have to say that I did not experience any reliability when I dealt with several of the local "English speaking" guides presenting themselves in other posts on this forum. Apparently I am not the only one. The outcome was that I had no guide when I arrived, and she was not even in Cairo at the time.

However, it all worked out as the taxi desk in the hotel I stayed (Hotel Zosser) organised a day trip around Cairo for six hours which was really marvellous.

Gold Coast AUSTRALIA
6. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

Hi Studioworks,

Would be interestered to hear of your "experience" with guides during you trip through Egypt. Especially the ones that let you down. You may like to contact me "Off Forum" at: jeffreymoore@hotkey.net.au

My wife and I are planning a trip for March, currently dealing with 3 Egyptian based people, but have had difficulty organising anything with another "well known" poster on this forum.

Cheers from Brisbane

Jeff

london
7. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

We just came back from Cairo. We had spent 2 nights there then 2 in luxor and 3 at the red sea and then back to cairo for an afternoon and night before returning. After the first two days in cairo we weren't excited to go back. It was difficult constantly haggling with everyone -it felt like we were always being taken advantage of -we felt like hostages to our taxi drivers. the last day though we got a taxi from the airport and the driver was great - actually reasonable and honest - took us all around and helped to buy gifts at good prices by haggling on our behalf (the exact opposite experience of our first 2 days where drivers were clearly making commissions off of us and steering us to certain stores which were total rip offs). Anyway, i recommend this guy - Mustafa - his mobile is 0105180244. He has just a basic black and white taxi. He made our last afternoon in Cairo enjoyable and productive. I hope you have a great time.

Cairo , Egypt
8. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

Hi

i guess i'm the one that said to let her down , however i really didn't i have copies of the e mail that we exchanged , the thing she was late in confirming and i got call from a travel agancy to go to the oasis , they were no internet access where i were ,and i didn't check my e mail so i didn't reply to her e mails ,and simply she could just call as i already sent here my cell # since the 1st e mail . and i think any body would do the same call the person if he or she not replying email , she called me but in the same day that we should have the tour , which is offcourse too late . and she was really mad at me that i even couldn't recommend anybody else .

If you were me you would do the same, many times i get e mails from clients and i always send them itinerary, and they confirm but they never show up ( normal through the internet ) , but when i get a call i know that the person is really serious ,i have copies from the e mail that we exchanged, but i can't send it . i hope this time they will not remove my post. as i have to make it clear .

again take a moment and check my web page and read my guest book see what my clients said about my service.

Regards ,

Zeina

www.zeina.faithweb.com

Scotland
9. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

Can anyone advise on the best hotels to stay at in Cairo. Have a tour through Osoris travel. They were putting us in the Europe Hotel in Cairo. But Having looked at reviews, It doesnt sound to clever. Could anyone recomend a better hotel. We will be in Luxur to so any sugestions would be wellcome.

chesterfield...
reviews: 14
10. Re: Cairo guides and hotels

Hi milltown98

We too were looking at going to the europa last year but after reading reviews decided against it. We did however book in at the Oasis in Cairo and were very happy with the hotel. We are returning this year in june and are booking into the Oasis again.

The Oasis is situated just up the road from the Giza pyramids and is a really nice, clean hotel with a free shuttle bus to the city centre, so you can do your own trips to the museum, tower, etc.

if you want any more info on this hotel just ask. We booked through all-hotels.com where we found the prices pretty resonable.

What kind of hotel are you looking for in Luxor? 5*, 3*? we have a resonable amount of knowledge about the hotels in Luxor as we have visited there 8 times and stayed in quite a few different hotels.

Queentut