We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in different currency?

Which Egypt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 6
Tipping in different currency?

Hello can you tip in euros? A few people have told me servers will be happy if its gbp euro or egyption pounds I have so many euros that are just sitting there. Thanks Bellsie

Brisbane, Australia
1. Re: Tipping in different currency?

Well ask yourself......would you like to be tipped in another currency?

No.......please tip in Egyptian Pounds.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
reviews: 137
2. Re: Tipping in different currency?

Seconded!!!!

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
reviews: 7
3. Re: Tipping in different currency?

Thirded :)

Lothians
reviews: 165
4. Re: Tipping in different currency?

The atms that change currency will change your Euros into Egyptian pounds at a good rate. You can use them up and tip in the local currency that way.

Cairo
5. Re: Tipping in different currency?

My advice is to avoid tipping in coins so if you will choose between Euros in coins and Egyptian money, Egyptian money will be better

Philadelphia
reviews: 2
6. Re: Tipping in different currency?

Of course it is better for the receiver to get tips in local currency. It is more respectful.

Unfortunately, during some days we had to tip so often that we ran out of small Egyptian Pound bills and coins. Yes, we did have to tip like 20 Egyptian pounds to the shoe keeper at one mosque, but that gets expensive pretty quick. In the end, on some days we simply had to tip in USD.

Luxembourg
reviews: 30
7. Re: Tipping in different currency?

Do bring your EUR coins 1 & 2, they are quite a bit of money in Egypt and are gladily accepted believe you me. I always exchange them with the boys for notes.

London, England
reviews: 24
8. Re: Tipping in different currency?

“Do bring your EUR coins 1 & 2, they are quite a bit of money in Egypt and are gladily accepted”

All money is “gladly accepted...” and coins which are very hard for the locals to exchange at a decent rate are still better than no money at all. As said many times, tip in Egyptian money. Get a good supply of small local coins/notes. It isn't that hard.

Edited: 8:04 am, December 04, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
reviews: 137
9. Re: Tipping in different currency?

I agree with BBeckett

Given the choice between funny money that I can't spend, or even get changed in a Bank, or no money at all, I'll take the funny money and find some other tourist fool later to change if for me.

Brisbane, Australia
10. Re: Tipping in different currency?

Sorry but this really annoys me.

So, the next time I go to Luxembourg it looks like I will be able to tip using Australian $1 and $2 coins. Doubt it!!

I just don't get it why people persist in not tipping in local currency. Of course, as you say, 'it is gladly accepted', but anything is better than nothing, especially when wages are so low.