We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baladi or Beledi in Egypt

Which Egypt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 90
Baladi or Beledi in Egypt

Can anyone tell me where I might find a theater or festival with local dancers, not just caberet belly dancers. I would love to see some real egyptian style dance or any of the great names but I can find no advance publicity, always reviews of something gone or you have to be part of dance classes first.

I would be a female on my own so can't go wandering off far from civilisation.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
reviews: 35
1. Re: Baladi or Beledi in Egypt

actually there is no such a public place or festival to go to see belly dance here , just you can go to night clubs in big 5 stars hotels there you can see the famous belly dancers, or else the caberets which i strongly do NOT advise you to go there at all. third option might be the dinner cruises but there you will see for short while dancer that is not famous at all, show there is not so long , it might be for half hour or a bit more

Somerset
Destination Expert
2. Re: Baladi or Beledi in Egypt

Thank you for your advice Egyptian Guide.

I did go on a boat where there were two dancers in everyday dress and they were very good - but at the time I did not know enough about it.

I know that Tito has appeared at 1000 & 1 nights in Sharm el Sheikh occasionally but without notice.

Now I know more I would love to see some good dance, not cabaret, but it seems no.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
reviews: 35
3. Re: Baladi or Beledi in Egypt

in that case I would say you may go to night clubs of the famous 5 stars hotels in Cairo like Sheraton, Intercontinentals, Four Seasons and so on, you may call them when you are in Cairo and ask who is the dancer in their night clubs, each night they change and 90% of them are from the very famous ones

Somerset
Destination Expert
4. Re: Baladi or Beledi in Egypt

Thank you, that's a great start. I will follow your suggestion.

Don't have to be famous though. I'm just not interested in the gymnastic caberet type.

It often seems to more about costume and maxium movement shall I say to be polite, and not so much about the quality and root of the dance.

5. Re: Baladi or Beledi in Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 17, 2011