We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ennis, Ireland
reviews: 3
Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

Hi, I'm travelling to South Korea end of March 2013 and spending my first two days alone in Seoul. I want to sightsee and relax while there before I travel to Busan to join my companion. I need advice on where to stay and what are the 'must see' things in the city. My interests are gardens, art, markets and local culture and I definitely want recommendations for a good massage/spa. I am on a relatively low budget but will spend when the product is worth it. Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
1. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

I recommend that you contact the Goodwill Guide program for a free volunteer guide - search the web and sign up today (I was very glad I did - my guide was fantastic)

(you'll get much more help on the Korea/Seoul forum)

Horsham, Vic...
reviews: 63
2. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

Hi, I don't know what your budget is but we stayed last year in a lovely little hotel called the Metro Hotel. Very easy to get to from airport and very comfortable. They have a vast range of different rooms for different budgets so check out their website. They also have a facebook page. The rooms were spotless and staff lovely

http://www.metrohotel.co.kr/

I checked their site out and contacted them via email. Very quick to respond and very, very helpul. Close to everything and they will point you in the right direction for whatever your interests are. It is a very popular hotel so if travelling soon act quickly.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
3. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

You'll definitely get more help on the Seoul forum. FWIW, I stayed at the Ibis Myeongdong and loved it -- spotless, value for money (I know that's all relative, but the room was huuuuuge, comfortable and had everything a luxury hotel has at 3 star prices) and extremely honest staff who reunited me with jewellery I'd left there.

Massachusetts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
4. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

Dear Suwato,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question on the Air Travel forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Seoul forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 153
5. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

I am amazed to hear Ibis having huuuge ooms!

Usual comment is that rooms are small.

It's a good hotel though, as is Metro.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
6. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

Most Ibis hotels have very small rooms, but this particular one has rooms that are much more spacious. Definitely recommend it!

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 187
7. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

I find that living in the Myeongdong area is most convenient -- you can find something to do the moment you get out of your hotel. It's relatively close (especially by subway) to the Gwanghwamun area where most of the historically and culturally significant stuff in Seoul is located, and the Namsan area where the iconic tower stands. It seems like a waste of time to live somewhere else. There are guesthouses with rooms for a single person, so you can have privacy and save money at the same time.

You have to see the palaces -- if you sweep Gyeongbok Palace, the Samcheong-dong area (where the Bukchon Hanok Village is), Insadong shopping street and, if time permits, Changdeok Palace, that's already a lot to take in on foot in a single area. This could take up a day if you are into these sorts of places.

I suggest you eat where the day takes you. Food is generally good in Seoul.

As for spas, going to the saunas (jjimjilbang) shouldn't cost a lot unless you get a massage. I got two massages during my trip: in Dragon Hill, which is a jjimjilbang, and at a hotel in Sinsa. The one in Dragon Hill cost about USD 100, although I recall seeing some lower priced treatments. The Sinsa one was almost USD 200 because it included a facial.

Other places that I really enjoyed are the National Museum, Leeum Samsung Museum, N Seoul Tower, MiSuDa (cultural experience) at the Namsangol Hanok Village, and Hongdae.

I hope you have a great time!

Edited: 7:56 pm, March 09, 2013
Ennis, Ireland
8. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

Thank you

Ennis, Ireland
9. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

Thanks a lot for your advice.

10. Re: Travelling to Seoul - where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 26, 2014