We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seoul layover questions

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford...
Seoul layover questions

I will be transiting through Seoul at the end of February, arriving at 14:50 on Asiana on Monday and leaving at 14:35 on Singapore Air the next day. I've found several places with good information about things to do in that short time, and information about getting to and from the airport, but I wanted to check on a couple things. First, will I definitely be able to leave the airport? As far as I can tell, as a US citizen coming in from the US I don't need a visa, but since I'm just ticketed through, will I be able to go through customs and enter Korea at all? Second, what hotels are recommended as being close to a major sights so I can maximize my sightseeing time by minimizing my travel time. I was looking at the Millennium Hilton as an option, but curious if anyone had any suggestions. If I arrive on time, how long should I expect it to take for me to get to Seoul (in other words, how long is the immigration line likely to be?)

Thanks!

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 162
1. Re: Seoul layover questions

No problem regarding entry. No visa unless you're there on business as a US citizen.

Millennium Hilton works well- it's on the KAL limo bus route, and it's well located -apart from being up a steep hill, meaning a walk down and climb back if you use public transport. The Westin Chosun is better located, as is Lotte Hotel, but the Hilton's fine.

As for exit time,you will be in the foreigners line. It pretty much depends on what a/c are just ahead of you. If a flight from China is just in, you could wait up to 30 mins. If you arrive at immigration and it looks a zoo, try to go to the end row beside the KR or the diplomat's exits. I've often been called across if that row is emptying.

Beware though, Seoul is up to 90 mins away by most transport. You can do this quicker by AREX Express, and this takes you into Seoul Station. A cab- or, if you know the escalator route, on foot- will get you to the MH, which is very close.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 45
2. Re: Seoul layover questions

This is good info here

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294197-c147610/Se…

Irvine, California
Destination Expert
for Seoul
reviews: 3
3. Re: Seoul layover questions

In my experience, the immigration line moves very quickly. Then you can take the A'REX train nonstop from ICN to Seoul Station in about 43 minutes. Very simple.

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 15
4. Re: Seoul layover questions

Immigration line isn't always fast. I once had to wait about 30 mins in line (came in at 6am). The biometrics process takes kinda slow.

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 162
5. Re: Seoul layover questions

Sorry to say that 30 mins is fast.

In LAX, a friend waited 2 hours; in London recently 4 hours was common.

New York
Destination Expert
for Seoul, South Korea
6. Re: Seoul layover questions

I recently waited 2hrs at Paris, and 45 mins at JFK, NY, and I am a US citizen so no finger print scanning!. 30 mins seems pretty decent time.

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 15
7. Re: Seoul layover questions

Wow then I was lucky! My last flight to Seoul prior to that, I don't even recall waiting, probably 15 mins tops. Looks like Incheon Airport is really good then. :)

8. Re: Seoul layover questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 04, 2013